This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need advice on my current pc build before purchase!

#1assassinslord08Posted 7/31/2013 10:00:42 AM
Hey all I have a pc built on the net ready to order ( thanks to help from a game faqs member for giving me a parts list ) a friend saved me money on windows 8 as he has developer subscription so I was looking to see if I could use the spare £60 to upgrade a current part to this build for better performance or future proofing it a little,

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/AdamBailey/saved/#savedbuild_482400

Any suggestions ?
#2r0ge00Posted 7/31/2013 10:10:37 AM
Get a different case IMO. The 1200 is dated, even on it's 3rd revision. Everything looks solid otherwise.
#3rareware101Posted 7/31/2013 10:25:56 AM
Up to you but:

- Change the case. Personal preference for me is the Fractal R4.

- You really don't need 16GB of RAM. By the time we get anywhere near needing it you'll be building a new PC

- H60 is meh. They're no cooler than a top end air cooler and are noisier.

- 840 Evo's are out and are not much more expensive

- Perhaps go for a bit more wattage on the PSU if you ever plan to SLI on top of a heavy OC. In all honesty though it's probably the same situation as the RAM when it comes to SLI and most of us would buy a new single card down the line.

Free postage from Scan:

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=186923
---
The Jeff Minter Llama360 Hardware Achievement - Unlocked after completing the Visualiser
#4ThePCElitistPosted 7/31/2013 10:52:02 AM
r0ge00 posted...
Get a different case IMO. The 1200 is dated, even on it's 3rd revision. Everything looks solid otherwise.

Not really sure how its dated. Mine has 3 USB 3.0 slots on the front. How exactly does a case get "dated" anyway other than the panel USB ports?
---
i5-2500k Hyper212+ @ 4.6Ghz, ASRock z77 extreme4, x2 Samsung 830 128GB SSD, 16 GB DDR3 RipJaws X, SLI GTX 680 Lightning, AX850, Antec 1200 v3
#5rareware101Posted 7/31/2013 11:03:17 AM
ThePCElitist posted...
r0ge00 posted...

Not really sure how its dated. Mine has 3 USB 3.0 slots on the front. How exactly does a case get "dated" anyway other than the panel USB ports?

When other cases offer better looks and performance for less money. No thumbscrews, knurled edges, removable HDD cages, closable fan mounts, etc. Plus it's huge, butt ugly and blue fans are crass. I used to have a 300 and have had many Antec PSUs so I like them as a company... that doesn't change the fact the 1200 is a dinosaur.
---
The Jeff Minter Llama360 Hardware Achievement - Unlocked after completing the Visualiser
#6assassinslord08(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2013 11:06:32 AM
So downgrade ram to 12gb? Different cooling, and a different case.
Tbh the only reason I picked this case was it had high reviews for an atx full tower with the most fans, I'm trying to keep its cooling down as low as possible!
I have already stated this pc was out together for me froma game faqs member as this is my first time building heck i am new to learning all the parts so please be as detailed about parts as possible as I don't really know what I'm looking for.
Could you please link me a ram that you think would be suitable for this build and a CPU and this evo cooler?
Thank you
#7ThePCElitistPosted 7/31/2013 11:24:05 AM
rareware101 posted...
ThePCElitist posted...
r0ge00 posted...

When other cases offer better looks and performance for less money. No thumbscrews, knurled edges, removable HDD cages, closable fan mounts, etc. Plus it's huge, butt ugly and blue fans are crass. I used to have a 300 and have had many Antec PSUs so I like them as a company... that doesn't change the fact the 1200 is a dinosaur.

Whelp I like how mine looks and how much space it has. I guess I'm not super picky.
---
i5-2500k Hyper212+ @ 4.6Ghz, ASRock z77 extreme4, x2 Samsung 830 128GB SSD, 16 GB DDR3 RipJaws X, SLI GTX 680 Lightning, AX850, Antec 1200 v3
#8rareware101Posted 7/31/2013 11:38:47 AM
The Samsung 840 EVO's are just the latest version of the drive:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2013/07/25/samsung-ssd-840-evo-500-750gb-1tb-revie/1

You want 2x4GB 1600Mhz DDR3 for RAM. Heatsinks on RAM do nothing but cost you money and potentially block air coolers (if you go for one). Any basic kits from Corsair for example will be fine:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-(2x4gb)-corsair-ddr3-vengeance-low-profile-jet-black-pc3-12800-(1600mhz)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-

When it comes to coolers as a very general rule air coolers are cheaper and quieter whereas sealed water coolers are more expensive, ultimately cooler but nosier as they need to be run at full whack to cool to the lowest temps. Have look at these benchmarks to get an idea:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2013/07/19/silverstone-tundra-td03-review/2

If you want to go down the sealed unit route step up to the H80i, Antec Kühler H2O 920 or something similar. Honestly though mate, we're in the UK, we don't often get the weather we've had recently, go air. The Noctua NH-D14 is one of the best but it's fugly. Something like this would be absolutely fine:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2013/05/02/silverstone-argon-ar01-review/3

For a case you're not going to need to worry about heat with what your putting in it as long as you get something good. What's good you say? Have a read of some of the reviews and you'll get an idea of what's attractive and important:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/

I've got a heavily OC'd i5 and a GTX670 in my Fractal. I have the top & side vents closed, no windows open, it's warm out and I'm idling at 30c and top out at 62c under load. OK I have a Dark Rock Advanced which is a hefty air cooler but you wouldn't be far off with a £30 one. Basically what I'm trying to say there is those temp are WELL under max and my CPU fan is running at 60% speed so is whisper quiet. In a nutshell, buy quality and you've no need to worry about getting a huge case or massive cooling systems.

If any of this doesn't make sense just ask and I'll explain in more detail as I'm not sure how much you know :) Check out that link for free delivery from Scan as well. Make this same topic on Bit-Tech, ask loads of questions (even if I've already answered them for you) and you'll soon have the required number of posts.
---
#9rareware101Posted 7/31/2013 11:43:36 AM
ThePCElitist posted...
rareware101 posted...
ThePCElitist posted...
r0ge00 posted...

Whelp I like how mine looks and how much space it has. I guess I'm not super picky.

I suppose as long as it does the job (some cases really don't as you know) that's all that really matters when it gets down to it ;)
---
#10PhilOnDezPosted 7/31/2013 11:49:20 AM
Your build looks good aside from the cooler, you could get similar performance from an air cooler that would cost you half as much. If you're wanting to put the cost of the widows license elsewhere that would be the place to put it if you want an AIO cooler. I didn't look at the case but if you only have room for a 120 rad then the h80i would be a lot better, and the h100 or h100i would be notably better than that.

It's not available in the US anymore but the swiftech h220 would be better than the h100/i and in US prices wasn't that much more. If you can get it, and want an AIO cooler, that what I'd snag.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez