This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Am I the only one who feels Bethesda games are most deserving of written media?

#11xanthan1Posted 7/31/2013 11:17:39 AM
Tyranius2 posted...
TES lore is a joke.

Meh, it's likely accidental but the fact it contradicts itself and seems to have recons when you compare newer things to the old kind of makes it the closest to real life mythology. You know, people interpreting crap over god knows how long and likely changing interpretations of events when the situation of the world changes enough.
#12mrbunny88Posted 7/31/2013 12:23:33 PM
There are two Elder Scrolls books which take place after the events of Oblivion. There is the Infernal City and Lord of Souls.
#13CommonJoePosted 7/31/2013 12:26:38 PM
1. TES Lore if you really get into it is far from plain or generic. At least the vast majority of it that's been written and/or overseen by Kirkbride is anyway.

2. TES Lore turns to crap both during and after Oblivion. Oblivion is when they really started retconning a lot of what they established.

3. There are 2 official TES books.
---
Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2. Lets revitalize this game eh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FUge6ghaIo&hd=1
#14Binba442(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2013 12:31:57 PM
CommonJoe posted...
1. TES Lore if you really get into it is far from plain or generic. At least the vast majority of it that's been written and/or overseen by Kirkbride is anyway.

2. TES Lore turns to crap both during and after Oblivion. Oblivion is when they really started retconning a lot of what they established.

I agree.

Still, all in all fallout is a series untouched.
What happened outside America? We'll never know, Bethesda will probably never venture outside of the Bleak repetitive setting of America, I would love a Fallout game set ANYWHERE else, France? England? India? China? Europe? All those would be in a similar state to the wasteland, except their Landscape isn't boring as all hell. Even a written novel set in those places would make for good reading.
---
Pacman is a deadbeat uncle who embarrasses everyone involved while living off of his one single moment of glory he had back in the 80s -Tirkaro 2013
#15Immortal_MooPosted 7/31/2013 12:35:19 PM
the real barnazera or however it is spelled is my favourite
---
Steam/origin/PSN/Wiiu- theimmortalmoo | i7 3770k 4.4ghz | GTX 780 | 16GB Gskill | 1200w PSU | 3 HDD 1 SSD 256 | Maximus V Formula |
#16_Marka_Ragnos_Posted 7/31/2013 12:40:28 PM
Bethesda are not particularly good writers to be honest. They make great worlds, but the quests in those worlds tend to suffer. Morrowind is fine because the world you are in is so mysterious and unique compared to the generic fantasy worlds of Oblivion and Skyrim.

An example of this is just how staggeringly better New Vegas is to Fallout 3. I never felt Fallout 3 captured the feel of the Fallout series but New Vegas felt right. Very true to the originals with the fantastic writing, factions and characters.
---
http://i.imgur.com/dMShSjG.jpg
"You can't not pool as Zerg" - FatBlackCat
#17_Marka_Ragnos_Posted 7/31/2013 12:42:00 PM
Binba442 posted...
CommonJoe posted...

I agree.

What happened outside America? We'll never know, Bethesda will probably never venture outside of the Bleak repetitive setting of America, I would love a Fallout game set ANYWHERE else, France? England? India? China? Europe? All those would be in a similar state to the wasteland, except their Landscape isn't boring as all hell. Even a written novel set in those places would make for good reading.

A fallout game cannot be set anywhere else without losing a lot of its charm. The entire series is a parody of what people in the 1950s believed America would be like if nuclear fallout were to happen. Luckily Fallout 4 is rumored to be happening in Boston which would be GRAND because it's my home.
---
#18Binba442(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2013 12:53:22 PM
_Marka_Ragnos_ posted...
Bethesda are not particularly good writers to be honest. They make great worlds, but the quests in those worlds tend to suffer. Morrowind is fine because the world you are in is so mysterious and unique compared to the generic fantasy worlds of Oblivion and Skyrim.

An example of this is just how staggeringly better New Vegas is to Fallout 3. I never felt Fallout 3 captured the feel of the Fallout series but New Vegas felt right. Very true to the originals with the fantastic writing, factions and characters.

Although inhouse may suck, people in the community suck a lot less. If they reached out, they could probably get good Fanfiction writers to write for them, Before cleaning up bits that break the canon, before slapping a "Bethesda Approved" sticker on it, before raking in money.

But that would open the floodgates to something hellish. O_o

"A fallout game cannot be set anywhere else without losing a lot of its charm. The entire series is a parody of what people in the 1950s believed America would be like if nuclear fallout were to happen. Luckily Fallout 4 is rumored to be happening in Boston which would be GRAND because it's my home"

I see what you mean, the "World of tomorrow" look and feel is unique, A spin-off wouldn't have to capture that same feel though. 1950's Britain was quite similar in it's ways...

I probably don't know much about America, but if Fallout told me anything, it's that the Landscape in alternate 2270s America sucked. Repetitive mountains and such. It doesn't have the verity that TES seems to capture. Morrowind feels hostile, Oblivion friendly, and Skyrim, Epic...
---
Pacman is a deadbeat uncle who embarrasses everyone involved while living off of his one single moment of glory he had back in the 80s -Tirkaro 2013
#19xanthan1Posted 7/31/2013 12:57:36 PM(edited)
Binba442 posted...
CommonJoe posted...

I agree.

You do get America is more then one large identical area, right? Hell it's been over 200 hundred years since the bombs dropped, long enough for different areas to develop different social structures and such, which can lead to different parts of it being GASP different.I mean hell look at Caesar's Legion VS the NCR, both regional super powers, both different ways of governing the area, a game set in the heard land of both would be very different.

Seriously man, most of the country is unexplored in Fallout, you have no reason to sat it's repetitive nor to think Europe would be any better.

Also Oblivion turned a unique sounding part of the world into a generic as **** area.
#20_Marka_Ragnos_Posted 7/31/2013 1:05:31 PM
Binba442 posted...
_Marka_Ragnos_ posted...

Although inhouse may suck, people in the community suck a lot less. If they reached out, they could probably get good Fanfiction writers to write for them, Before cleaning up bits that break the canon, before slapping a "Bethesda Approved" sticker on it, before raking in money.

But that would open the floodgates to something hellish. O_o

"A fallout game cannot be set anywhere else without losing a lot of its charm. The entire series is a parody of what people in the 1950s believed America would be like if nuclear fallout were to happen. Luckily Fallout 4 is rumored to be happening in Boston which would be GRAND because it's my home"

I see what you mean, the "World of tomorrow" look and feel is unique, A spin-off wouldn't have to capture that same feel though. 1950's Britain was quite similar in it's ways...

I probably don't know much about America, but if Fallout told me anything, it's that the Landscape in alternate 2270s America sucked. Repetitive mountains and such. It doesn't have the verity that TES seems to capture. Morrowind feels hostile, Oblivion friendly, and Skyrim, Epic...

The problem is that that is something Bethesda won't do. Believe me when I say that Bethesda was once one of my favorite developers because of Morrowind. The world is just so captivating if only for the sight seeing. However, when Oblivion came along, the world was boring and generic and made the bad writing all the more noticeable with about 10 different voice actors for the hundreds of NPCs. Skyrim improved it, but still, it doesn't capture that same magical atmosphere Morrowind had with it's Giant Mushrooms and hulking steam powered buildings and huge magical tree houses.

Honestly, I would be happy if Bethesda just stopped trying to make quests and write dialogue and just let Obsidian do it all and just provide a world for Obsidian to play with. Obsidian even hired really good voice actors for New Vegas so all the characters felt unique (And the setting was better. Fallout has always been set in the west around deserts rather than in cities like FO3 and FO4 is looking to be (Don't mind FO4 if it is going to be set in my home city though because that's cool)).

And I know other countries would have their own culture from the 1950s, but it would just go against the parody that Fallout always prides itself in. It outright makes fun of the old cartoons the government used to put out like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqXu-5jw60
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saLwgBKJT7o

And I feel that would be lost if they tried to go to another country along with the factions we all have grown to know over the past several Fallout games and all of the little remarks and tidbits from the protagonists from the previous games.

And they would have to get all new music rather than the music they currently.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp2Hwi9qM48

It'd just be a completely different game without all the charm.
---