This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My sister needs a new laptop

#1MachEvolutionPosted 7/31/2013 1:46:14 PM
She has a budget of about $600 and she wants it mainly to play Minecraft on it, though it would be good if it could play other games reasonably as well.

I have some ideas of my own but I'd thought I'd make a topic here and see what other people can come up with. Right now I'm thinking something with a good AMD APU, but since Minecraft is heavily CPU dependent then there may be better options that would also handle other games reasonably well.
#2donbrifwayPosted 7/31/2013 1:49:36 PM
APU is probably the best she's going to get for $600. If she can come up with a few hundred more dollars, look in to getting a laptop with a video card.
---
Steam: donbrifway
#3MachEvolution(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2013 5:26:30 PM
Yeah that seems like the best option for the price. Seems like she could probably get something with an AMD A-10 APU, which as far as I can tell, should run minecraft perfectly fine and it should even handle most current games on at least medium settings at regular laptop resolutions(768p).

But when I was looking around, it was pretty confusing all the different APUs there are. Anything in particular to watch out for or should I just look into something with a newer A10 in it for her?
#4PhilOnDezPosted 7/31/2013 6:09:11 PM
I have a phenom II and it bottlenecks the igp on that system at around 40 fps, even with a 32x pack on. I don't see a sub 2GHz APU doing any better.

I would just wait for a Haswell laptop in that range to be available, the HD4600 is 70-90% as fast depending on the game but the actual CPU will be tons faster.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez