This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best Mouse for Extended Use

#1Treason686Posted 7/31/2013 2:17:35 PM
To anyone that ends up spending hours at a time on a computer, what mouse do you use?

This doesn't need to be something that is precise for shooter games or anything. This is for everyday use, and things like programming.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h
#2Love_Me_SexyPosted 7/31/2013 2:58:02 PM
Try an Evoluent Vertical mouse 4. If you read about it, it keeps your arm and hand in a neutral position to prevent fatigue.

My whole work uses them and I have one for home as well. Definitely the most comfort I've ever had using a mouse for extended periods of time.
---
PS4 preordered! X1 Day 1 preordered!
PC Wishlist: 27" IPS, MB/RAM/CPU/GPU/PSU, 4TB HDD, KB
#3KalammerPosted 7/31/2013 3:43:42 PM
I use a Logitech M570, and never have an issue. 15 years ago I was having problems and was forced to make a change. I ended up settling on a thumb-operated trackball, which was a bit awkward at first, but is really comfortable once you've adjusted.

It's not the right device for everyone, but it's worth considering.
---
"My job isn't to offer help in the way that you mean." - Boogiepop
#4Treason686(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2013 3:48:06 PM
Kalammer posted...
I use a Logitech M570, and never have an issue. 15 years ago I was having problems and was forced to make a change. I ended up settling on a thumb-operated trackball, which was a bit awkward at first, but is really comfortable once you've adjusted.

It's not the right device for everyone, but it's worth considering.

I don't really care either way. I can adjust to a trackball and use a standard mouse for other things.

I was also thinking about a stand alone touch pad like one of the Logitech ones if anyone has any input.
---
#5Treason686(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2013 3:49:56 PM
Love_Me_Sexy posted...
Try an Evoluent Vertical mouse 4. If you read about it, it keeps your arm and hand in a neutral position to prevent fatigue.

My whole work uses them and I have one for home as well. Definitely the most comfort I've ever had using a mouse for extended periods of time.

That looks pretty great, actually. Similar to the Microsoft ergo mouse, but more vertical. I'll definitely consider that if it's not too expensive.
---
#6daemon_danPosted 7/31/2013 3:51:32 PM
I used to say: Go to best buy. Try the mice. See what feels GOOD IN YOUR HAND. But they don't sell many good mice these days. If you can find a store that sells lots of good PC stuff, go there, and TRY THE MICE. Asking for advice from other people that may or may not even hold the mouse the same way you do is a surefire way to get suggested mice that won't feel right.
---
"Nowhere is longer safe. The earth MOVES under our feet. The great world tree, Yggdrasil, trembles to it's roots."
#7MyzeryPosted 7/31/2013 4:00:06 PM
after 3 razer deathadders crapped out on me, i got a mionix naos 5000, which is the most comfortable mouse i've ever owned.
---
If you kill a man, you're a murderer. If you kill many, you're a conqueror. If you kill them all, you're a god.
#8Doomsday FortePosted 7/31/2013 4:29:41 PM
I use one of these. Good luck buying one, however: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-D67-00001-Trackball-Optical-Mouse/dp/B00005853X

As for how I hold it, I put the balls of my palm (the part right below where your finger and palm connect) on the mouse, or at least the index and middle one. The tip of my ring finger and my pinky touch the desk I use. My index and middle fingers are stretched out and lying flat on the two mouse buttons, with the tip of my middle finger just barely reaching past the lip of the right mouse button. I use a gel wristpad, though anything that provides comfort and support for your wrist or palm is fine. Most of my palm is off the mouse, resting on my gel pad thing. It probably helps to say that my hands are fairly big.

It's still fun seeing people try to use it like a regular mouse to no avail.
---
Crimson night & Celsion moon, misfiction, not save the Player is Prayer, yes, Dance Romanesque and unfinished Romancia.
#9Treason686(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2013 3:55:52 PM
daemon_dan posted...
I used to say: Go to best buy. Try the mice. See what feels GOOD IN YOUR HAND. But they don't sell many good mice these days. If you can find a store that sells lots of good PC stuff, go there, and TRY THE MICE. Asking for advice from other people that may or may not even hold the mouse the same way you do is a surefire way to get suggested mice that won't feel right.

What feels good in my hand now, and what feels good in my hand after 6-8 hours are two different things. A quality ergonomic mouse will force you to hold it in a way that is more natural. How I hold it is irrelevant. That's why I asked. Working in retail, I've sampled more mice, keyboards, and chairs than most people ever will, and ergonomics aren't exclusively, "What feels good in your hand." If that were all it took, people would never regret mouse or chair purchases, and that is definitely not the case.

Back on topic, I can't see using a trackball with my thumb. I don't think that would be a good idea in my case.

I really like the look of that vertical mouse, but that $90 price tag! Ugh! Maybe eBay will be more fruitful.

If that doesn't work out, I might look at one of the Logitech touch pads.

Thanks for the replies.
---
#10Killah PriestPosted 8/1/2013 4:02:43 PM
for me its the Logitech Anywhere MX
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.