This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Windows 7 - cannot select items on desktop

#1KillerTrufflePosted 7/31/2013 4:40:59 PM
OK, this is a brand new thing I've never run into before. Suddenly, I am not able to drag a select box, or select desktop icons at all. I can highlight (with mouseover), click to open/run, right-click and get context menu, and basically everything else works perfectly fine. I can even click and drag icons to arrange them how I want on the desktop.

But simply drag-selecting multiple icons, or even clicking on a single icon to select, does not work at all.

I've looked around Google, but can't find any evidence of an issue quite like this. Has anyone run into this before? And how the heck do I fix it? I don't want to be constantly opening Explorer to manage files on my desktop.

Side note: drag, Ctrl, and Shift select all work in Explorer windows and everywhere else - even works fine in the desktop *folder*... just not on the actual desktop.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#2KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2013 4:53:12 PM(edited)
Update:

Even more bizarrely, if I keep trying long enough, it actually WILL give me a select box, and I can drag it across icons. The icons do not actually "select" - they don't change color or show any indication they're selected, but I can actually drag the icons I had boxed in around as a group anyway. Soon as I try to drag a new box tho, I can't again for a while, until it randomly lets me once.

EDIT: Make that - the entire icon group on the desktop stays selected until I'm able to somehow drag a new box - even clicking off to "deselect" does nothing, and the icons I had boxed in remain in a draggable group. I have never seen something like this. It's annoying. >_>
---
#3ein311Posted 7/31/2013 5:20:26 PM
I know this sounds basic and all, but have you tried restarting the computer?
---
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations
#4KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2013 5:33:33 PM
Yup. I haven't tried safe mode yet, but I don't care whether it works in safe mode or not, since that isn't where I work. It's actually been this way through the past 2 or 3 reboots. No new software installed, and this is a work computer, so the only software I've put on myself is UltraMon and Digsby. Both have been on there forever without issue - this is a new problem. Can't for the life of me figure it out. Icons are not locked (I checked, and besides, if they were, I couldn't drag them around).

I have never seen a problem this weird and random.
---
#5WerdnAndreWPosted 7/31/2013 5:41:24 PM
Maybe something is wrong with explorer.exe. Have you tried running a scan fix in Windows? You might need the windows disc if a file needs to be repaired.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#6KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2013 6:52:14 PM
I've thought about that... computer's at work tho, so no disc - it was a network install of Windows. I guess I'll have to call IT tomorrow and have them take a look. Was hoping to avoid that... In my experience, most of the problems I can't fix myself stump them too, and it usually takes quite a long time to get things fixed.
---