This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone recommend a really good cost to performance build?

#1TehPwnzererPosted 7/31/2013 4:56:10 PM
I won't overclock, I don't need multiple GPUs or hard drives and I don't care about getting a thousand frames per second because I don't care at all for bragging rights, BUT I DO want the best possible performance I can squeeze out of every dollar I spend. I want a very minimalist rig small in size. Keep in mind I don't plan on upgrading for at least 5 years so I want to keep it relatively future proof for at least that.. Right now I have in mind...

Bitfenix Prodigy
Asus ROG Maximus VI Impact
2 x 8GB ram
1 x 2TB HDD
GTX 780
I7 4k CPU
600w PSU

Any suggestions or changes you guys would make?
#2RequiemPosted 7/31/2013 5:00:31 PM(edited)

2 x 8GB ram
GTX 780
I7 4k CPU

Good performance? Yes.
Good cost to performance? No

It depends, of course, on how much you're willing to spend. Most people find i5 and 8gb ram (2 x 4) to be adequate, and the generally accepted "sweet range" for gpu are anywhere from $150 to 300.

But if you are going to go with that build, I'd get a more powerful PSU.
---
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page... otherwise known as Tex-Mex
#3PhilOnDezPosted 7/31/2013 5:51:01 PM
That's about the worst cost to performance you could get shy of a Titan. The best would be grabbing an i3 prebuilt for $350 or so and tossing a 650/7750 in it.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#42Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 7/31/2013 5:58:12 PM
You would get more cost effectiveness from 2 GTX 760s in SLI and they would be more powerful than a single 780
---
Pearl Code: 0731 1228 8254 White Code: 0862 2790 1982
SSBB: 0989-1461-9542
#5GreenMage7Posted 7/31/2013 6:07:31 PM(edited)
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1mRdD

Powerful rig, has added performance with hyper-threading in other non-gaming tasks, has Nvidia's only non-rip off current card, a little over $800 after you put in those discounts (without OS, you may or may not need one if you already have a license). You'd be hard pressed to beat the price for performance of that rig and still be able to get an excellent gaming experience (this being GameFAQs and all).

Power supply is overkill, but it's there in case you ever decide you do want to add a second card and the price difference from the lower wattage ones was mostly insignificant. You could go as low as a 430w on that rig though and save $12 if you really wanted to.
#6TehPwnzerer(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2013 10:09:15 PM
Excellent help all especially mage for the time taken to pick something out. Looks excellent and did not expect it to be that cheap. Another minor question, what's the difference between the 60, 70, and 80 lines of graphics cards?
#7Rogziel2kPosted 8/1/2013 12:16:42 PM
why a Xeon...would the motherboard work for it? and xeon processors are made for workstations and servers and multi CPU setups....wouldnt it be better to get an I5 for gaming or maybe I7?
---
AMD FX 8320, 16GB DDR3 1600, 128 GB SSD, 1TB WD Green 7200RPM, 1 TB Seagate 7200 HD, AMD 7870 2 GDDR5 ram,
#8HydroCannabinolPosted 8/1/2013 12:19:23 PM
GreenMage7 posted...
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1mRdD

Powerful rig, has added performance with hyper-threading in other non-gaming tasks, has Nvidia's only non-rip off current card, a little over $800 after you put in those discounts (without OS, you may or may not need one if you already have a license). You'd be hard pressed to beat the price for performance of that rig and still be able to get an excellent gaming experience (this being GameFAQs and all).

Power supply is overkill, but it's there in case you ever decide you do want to add a second card and the price difference from the lower wattage ones was mostly insignificant. You could go as low as a 430w on that rig though and save $12 if you really wanted to.

Lol you are silly dude. I would laugh if TC bought that.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#9PhilOnDezPosted 8/1/2013 12:40:54 PM
The 1230v2 is a good processor if you aren't planning on OCing and your motherboard actually supports it. Problem is, a lot of motherboards don't support it and I don't really know how you would check outside of googling and seeing if anyone has tried it. I know some brands actually intentionally block their boards from using Xeon CPUs to push their workstation boards.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez