This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How is Frozen Synapse?

#1XxTwisted26xXPosted 7/31/2013 5:51:37 PM
I can't really find out any information on the game... I really love these indie games though and loved Miami Hotline. Was willing to try out other indie games of the sort :3
---
Steam: xxtwisted26xx
"When you play the games of thrones, you win or you die. Theres no middle ground" - Cersei Lannister to Eddard Stark
#2DragonRaizenPosted 7/31/2013 5:57:04 PM
There's a demo.
Basically, it's a turn based strategy game focused on extensively micro managing of every single action of your units during a planning phase and watching how it plays out. This includes movement, direction you're facing, rules of engagement, all of which can be specified to the tiniest details (Move here while looking over there, then switch to engage on sight, turn around and round this corner,covering ground to that spot of cover in 3.44seconds)
---
-FREEZE!
-I'm a robot, not your refrigerator.
Marvin
#3polopiliPosted 7/31/2013 6:03:33 PM
I have an extra copy I can exchange for some steam cards.
#4lionheart5656Posted 7/31/2013 6:08:04 PM
Extremely tactical game.

That could be good or bad depending on your tastes.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#5Knighted DragonPosted 7/31/2013 6:19:23 PM
I absolutely hated it myself, I like tactical games like it but that was one of the worst games I've ever played
---
Matthew 7:21
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2492/gyenyame.jpg
#6DaedalusExPosted 7/31/2013 6:21:14 PM
Really awesome idea with a sleek presentation. Got bored of it really quickly, though.
#7R i c kPosted 7/31/2013 6:23:54 PM(edited)
It's not entirely turn-based, as said above. It's a combination of turn-based and real-time although the real-time elements are controlled by the instructions you give your AI during the turn-based segments. You don't have direct control over your units during the real-time segments, in other words, so it's very tactical, and very plan-oriented.

Repost from another thread:

The multiplayer was a great concept but it was lacking in options (I can't remember the name of the modes but the normal combat mode only had a couple different unit loadouts that could come up. They should have made a much larger variety of possible loadouts to keep things interesting.) and the community was too small and unstable (You could start 5 games with 5 people and 2 or 3 people would quit the game altogether before the match was finished). Unfinished matches are fine but the game didn't have any way of handling them so you'd have unfinished games cluttering up your list. They should have made it so a player would be disqualified if they didn't move after x days. I know the expansion had something called Hot Seat Mode or something. I didn't check it out so maybe that addressed the issue, I can't say.

I found the single player to be dreadful and dropped it after a handful of missions. Maybe things have changed since I bought it but that's my experience.
---
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door. There is a small mailbox here.
>
#8fakewarsPosted 7/31/2013 6:26:53 PM
Knighted Dragon posted...
I absolutely hated it myself, I like tactical games like it but that was one of the worst games I've ever played

It just like Hearts Of Iron. Overly complicated for average people, but awesome game for geek
---
"The heads of peasants are much better as footballs."
~Ningishzida
#9Knighted DragonPosted 7/31/2013 7:56:13 PM
It just like Hearts Of Iron. Overly complicated for average people, but awesome game for geek

Had nothing to do with being complicated, nice assumption though. The game just wasn't enjoyable, all my friend who tried it with me said the same thing
---
Matthew 7:21
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2492/gyenyame.jpg
#10XxTwisted26xX(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2013 8:47:17 PM
Would you say Miami Hotline is tactical? That game was frustratingly hard yet fun at the same time haha. Oh I didnt know there was a demo! Waiting for Rising Storm to finish downloading then ill see if i can check it out :D
---
Steam: xxtwisted26xx
"When you play the games of thrones, you win or you die. Theres no middle ground" - Cersei Lannister to Eddard Stark