This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Bought a used laptop.....

#1NobHillFoodsPosted 7/31/2013 8:00:54 PM
Bought a used laptop and it seems the original owner didn't reformat the hard drive. Is it possible for the original owner to install spying software on this laptop and when I connect to the internet and log into bank account, could it pass that information off to him? I cant reformat it because I don't have the OS disk.
#22Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 7/31/2013 8:01:59 PM
Well it's possible they could have installed a keylogger or something to track your keystrokes. Not sure if there are programs that can record your screen or something though.
---
Pearl Code: 0731 1228 8254 White Code: 0862 2790 1982
SSBB: 0989-1461-9542
#3rwfan2cPosted 7/31/2013 8:13:51 PM
2Dhas_a_MIGRANE posted...
Well it's possible they could have installed a keylogger or something to track your keystrokes. Not sure if there are programs that can record your screen or something though.

Some Keyloggers do record Screenshots as well. And also track what websites you go to.

Did the guy do it?
Dunno.

Is It possible?
Yes.

Though do keep in mind most keyloggers i know of you need to have access to teh computer to get the info off it. Though i can see someone easily writing a program to access it remotely.
---
Currently Playing: Guild Wars 2, Bastion, Tera, Far Cry 3
"Demon's Run, When a Good Man Goes to War."
#4MonerMonerPosted 7/31/2013 8:21:48 PM
If you can't reinstall because of drivers, you can use http://www.drivermagician.com/

It finds all drivers on your pc/laptop and saves them to the directory of your choice(external drive, usb stick), i've used it before with great success.
#5Incendia_IntusPosted 7/31/2013 8:23:34 PM
There's usually a sticker somewhere on laptops/prebuilts with the OS activation code... Create a OS DVD and reformat.
---
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz| Phantek PH-TC14PE| EVGA GTX 580 | G.SKILL Sniper 8GB | OCZ Vertex 2 40GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | HAF 912
#6DeanWhipperPosted 7/31/2013 8:45:28 PM
This is a really silly thing to worry about, you're more likely to be being watched right now by somebody in your attic.
---
Is this even legal? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fxhiq93TTg
#7Crimsin_GibletPosted 7/31/2013 8:57:15 PM
MonerMoner posted...
If you can't reinstall because of drivers, you can use http://www.drivermagician.com/

It finds all drivers on your pc/laptop and saves them to the directory of your choice(external drive, usb stick), i've used it before with great success.

Would they need the driver for the NIC though?
#8Knight2520Posted 7/31/2013 9:21:17 PM(edited)

Neat, but unnecessary. He can go to the manufacturer's page for his laptop and download drivers there.

TC, what OS are you using?
---
GENERATION 117: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number. Consider it a social experiment.
#9fataliPosted 7/31/2013 9:32:39 PM
It's also possible that there was no discs to reinstall the OS in the first place, most laptop since a few years ago set a space in the hard drive as a restore partition, with the image of the original configuration, you access this pressing a specific key when the laptop is booting.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#10KaushadPosted 7/31/2013 9:55:56 PM
DeanWhipper posted...
This is a really silly thing to worry about, you're more likely to be being watched right now by somebody in your attic.

Hardly. It would be a simple thing to make a program that tracked keystrokes and sent them back to your computer over the internet. You could get private information, bank account passwords, Social Security Numbers, Bank account numbers, national secrets, anything.
---
I stopped watching comedy on TV when I found the jimquisition and zero punctuation.