This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking to buy a tablet. Any advice?

#1dummy420Posted 7/31/2013 9:25:33 PM
I am looking into buying a tablet but don't know the best options. I am wanting to use it for an e-reader for text books and also Netflix and video viewing. I would like to be able to use it for college books and my military study material. A decent battery life is a big selling point.

So I don't know much about them but I heard that some books only work with certain readers. Anyone know what are the best options that work for the biggest range of books? I have purchased a Kindle for my ex girlfriend and she seemed to like it so is Kindle a good option?
---
Trying is the first step towards failure, so just dont give it a shot and you cant dissapoint.
#2snkboiPosted 7/31/2013 9:26:10 PM
google nexus 7 2nd gen
---
i think it's nice
#3_Marka_Ragnos_Posted 7/31/2013 9:27:40 PM
iPad 4 or iPad mini depending on price range. The aspect ratio of them is going to be the best for reading hands down.
---
http://i.imgur.com/dMShSjG.jpg
"You can't not pool as Zerg" - FatBlackCat
#4dummy420(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2013 9:36:00 PM
They will all be able to work with most book formats right? Price isn't to big of an issue. Its mostly for general convenience since I have been traveling a lot and will continue to.
---
Trying is the first step towards failure, so just dont give it a shot and you cant dissapoint.
#5BowsaaPosted 7/31/2013 9:37:12 PM
Probably an iPad mini then. It's really quite a nice device.

Personally, though, I'd wait until they release the yearly rehash because it'll probably have a Retina display, which will be nice to have.
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
#6dummy420(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2013 9:39:42 PM
Thanks for the help guys.
---
#7_Marka_Ragnos_Posted 7/31/2013 9:44:40 PM
dummy420 posted...
They will all be able to work with most book formats right? Price isn't to big of an issue. Its mostly for general convenience since I have been traveling a lot and will continue to.

Yup. Both the Nexus and iPad will work with all book formats including epub, kindle, nook what have you. Personally, I really like the iPad ebook reader. It's got beautiful animations and is butter smooth (You can import non ibooks formats into the stock app).

The reason I mentioned the aspect ratio is because the iPad is much wider than the Nexus 7 in portrait mode so reading is a much more pleasant experience than the very narrow Nexuses.
---
http://i.imgur.com/dMShSjG.jpg
"You can't not pool as Zerg" - FatBlackCat
#8PR_FiascoPosted 7/31/2013 9:49:12 PM
Be warned. Once you get whatever tablet you've got in mind...you'll get addicted to it.

Trust me. I've seen it.
---
TBWNN
i5 3570K @ 3.4Ghz | GTX 670 | 8GB RAM
#9dummy420(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2013 9:56:52 PM
PR_Fiasco posted...
Be warned. Once you get whatever tablet you've got in mind...you'll get addicted to it.

Trust me. I've seen it.

I guess we will see. I always hated the idea of tablets but recent changes have made it look like a good option. I do like my tech that's for sure.
---
#10g_lethalPosted 7/31/2013 10:53:53 PM
don't buy one, just snag a laptop

hate my tablet, so unprecise, smudges everywhere, weak.......things are pointless
---
"Remember Me" is awesome