This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking to buy a tablet. Any advice?

#31ChromaticAngelPosted 8/1/2013 10:35:30 AM
for 7 inch tablets, you literally cannot beat the Nexus 7

for 10 inch tablets, to do everything you are describing, sounds like a MS Surface RT would be best for you. It'll have more compatibility with books, comes with a Kindle app, and Adobe Reader Touch for PDFs (okay, well, it doesn't come with them, but they're both free downloads from the MS store) which should handle virtually any e-book you ever purchase. It also comes with the standard youtube, netflix, and other video viewing software.

There is also a bit torrent software for Surface RT if that sort of thing matters to you.
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#32valeski2236Posted 8/1/2013 10:44:17 AM(edited)
GreenMage7 posted...

You do pay for it. It's called costing over a hundred dollars more.

Rooting it takes less than a half hour and fixes all of the problems you said. It has a better screen than the iPad mini, a better wireless card, and better speakers.

This is the classic "I have to take almost no time to make something infinitely better so I won't do it and get an inferior product on a closed system for more money" post.

Rooting is not for everyone and no matter what you think isn't 100% safe. Bricking your $200 device just to make it work like another out of the box tablet is asinine for general non tech savy people.

ChromaticAngel posted...
Surface RT would be best for you.

is the tablet that lost Microsoft $900m.
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/microsoft-lost-a-staggering-900m-on-the-surface-rt-50011755/

---
3DS:FC 1005-8758-3458
#33juscallmeehxPosted 8/1/2013 10:46:54 AM
valeski2236 posted...
GreenMage7 posted...

You do pay for it. It's called costing over a hundred dollars more.

Rooting it takes less than a half hour and fixes all of the problems you said. It has a better screen than the iPad mini, a better wireless card, and better speakers.

This is the classic "I have to take almost no time to make something infinitely better so I won't do it and get an inferior product on a closed system for more money" post.

Rooting is not for everyone and no matter what you think isn't 100% safe. Bricking your $200 device just to make it work like another out of the box tablet is asinine for general non tech savy people.

I agree that rooting is not 100% safe however I disagree about your comment about "make it work like another out of the box tablet". Other tablets like iOS and other Android tablets/phones are unrooted out of the box. Rooting basically gives you admin rights to the device so you can do whatever the hell you want. For non-tech savvy people who don't want complete control of their device, there is iOS or non-rooted Android.
---
PSN, XBL & Steam: juscallmeehx
i5-4670k CPU @ 3.4GHz, 2x8GB RAM, Evga GTX 560 ti, 2x128GB SSD & 1TB HD
#34GreenMage7Posted 8/1/2013 10:48:50 AM
valeski2236 posted...

No tablet works out of the box like rooted android tablet. None. Zero. You know why? They don't come rooted out of the box.

I've never bricked anything, but I suppose someone could brick a phone or something that way. I even said "don't bother getting one if you're not going to root it". It's right in my post. I still think the Nexus 7 is better than the iPad mini. It plays Super Mario Bros. ;-)
#35valeski2236Posted 8/1/2013 10:51:31 AM(edited)
juscallmeehx posted...

I agree that rooting is not 100% safe however I disagree about your comment about "make it work like another out of the box tablet". Other tablets like iOS and other Android tablets/phones are unrooted out of the box. Rooting basically gives you admin rights to the device so you can do whatever the hell you want. For non-tech savvy people who don't want complete control of their device, there is iOS or non-rooted Android.

You're missing the part where the guy who suggested the kindle fire said you had to root it to get the google play store, which comes standard on most out of the box android tablets, which you don't need to root for. which was the point of me mentioning that.
---
#36ImMrMojoRisinPosted 8/1/2013 10:55:28 AM
valeski2236 posted...
Don't go with the ipad mini, The nexus 7 2nd gen just came out and its cheaper and more powerful.

Quite honestly you would be a fool to get a mini.

Side by side performance comparisons
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW7sDsMRW64

Hardware comparisons
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zj1-jiHRI0

nexus 7 ($269 32gb wifi only)
1.5 GHz quad core
2gb RAM

iPad mini ($429 32gb wifi only)
1 GHz dual core
512mb RAM

It can outperform the Mini all day, but it all comes down to software. If you want a tablet for games at all, you would be a fool to not get an Apple device. That is simply where the market is. You can't even argue against that, but I have a feeling you are going to try anyway...
#37juscallmeehxPosted 8/1/2013 10:55:50 AM
valeski2236 posted...
juscallmeehx posted...

You're missing the part where the guy who suggested the kindle fire said you had to root it to get the google play store, which comes standard on most out of the box android tablets, which you don't need to root for. which was the point of me mentioning that.

Ah, I see.

I personally wouldn't get a Kindle (even though I know how to root). I prefer a pure android experience as I can not some Frankenstein version of it. Regardless, I think the Nexus 7 2013 beats the kindle fire HD at the moment is almost every aspect.
---
PSN, XBL & Steam: juscallmeehx
i5-4670k CPU @ 3.4GHz, 2x8GB RAM, Evga GTX 560 ti, 2x128GB SSD & 1TB HD
#38valeski2236Posted 8/1/2013 11:08:24 AM(edited)
ImMrMojoRisin posted...

It can outperform the Mini all day, but it all comes down to software. If you want a tablet for games at all, you would be a fool to not get an Apple device. That is simply where the market is. You can't even argue against that, but I have a feeling you are going to try anyway...

No, I agree. Apple does have a stronger gaming library but the TC didn't say anything about gaming. He wants it for reading books and watching netflix. So your point is pointless. (as by extension is my hardware comparison but I put it up there to show that you're getting more for your money)
---
#39valeski2236Posted 8/1/2013 11:05:44 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]