This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What do you guys think about Minecraft?

#61JKatarnPosted 8/2/2013 9:21:10 AM
Ultima_Weapon33 posted...
Great game, although the devs are kind of dumb and the game is heavily dependant upon modding. I prefer Terraria mainly, just because the game is "better" and combat isn't awful, and there aren't much flawed mechanics (see - Minecraft's EXP / enchant system where you can take a long time to get level 30 and then you get a crappy random chance to get something good).

I really enjoy the horse update and it's cool how many facets there are in the game, like horse breeding, farming, exploring etc. It's a great game really. The graphics aren't bad at all with mods, see - http://i.imgur.com/KpmjJ.jpg

Pretty crappy the greedy devs have never lowered the price or put it on sale though. Also, the API they're promised. Basically the devs are horrible but it's a great game.

I always play on servers where there's a kind of seperate but communal experience and players interact with each other in different ways, like being jerks and declaring war on each other or trading and helping each other out, which is really cool. I don't think there's anything else like that.

For one thing, the focus of the game is building and exploring and (if you're really creative) creating giant working fortresses and Rube Goldberg machines, the levelling/combat is somewhat of an afterthought and Terraria does that better if that's what you're after. For another, why is not giving away a product that has proven to be incredibly popular "greedy"? For one thing $25 or so for a game that can conceivably keep you entertained for hundreds (or more) hours is an incredible value, for another if $25 is a deal breaker for you, you probably shouldn't be playing video-game honestly. Now, I won't argue the development of the game itself has been/is perfect as there are certainly rough edges, but the price is fair (unless you're a pirate/cheapskate).
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#62JKatarnPosted 8/2/2013 9:23:23 AM
ElDudorino posted...
I dunno... I'd say this looks exactly like an NES game:

http://minecraftgallery.com/gallery/minecraft-beach-house-wallpaper/
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/4/c/b/gfs_29012_2_48.jpg

I mean, can you even tell those two pictures apart?

Even if I throw in a texture pack picture, we're looking at SNES quality at best:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdixb9VoJz1qbsw9ro1_1280.png
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/0/d/2/gfs_47141_1_16.jpg

Again, it's like looking at two pictures which could have been taken from the same game.

Lol, yeah...I mean, it's like if a game doesn't have Crysis 3 caliber graphics, then it's obviously using 8-bit technology.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#63MuhammadJAPosted 8/2/2013 9:51:39 AM
Overrated and stupid. Don't believe all the hype about creativity and building. Most people just destroy stuff and steal other people's items.
---
Welcome to GameFAQs, home of the Drama Queens.
Where you can get modded for stating your opinion.
#64Dirk_McHardpeckPosted 8/2/2013 10:13:26 AM
MuhammadJA posted...
Overrated and stupid. Don't believe all the hype about creativity and building. Most people just destroy stuff and steal other people's items.

Many servers don't allow destuction of other peoples property but if that's a concern you can always play solo games. Which IMHO is actually more fun because being all alone in a world full of monsters adds to the creepiness factor
#65ThePCElitistPosted 8/2/2013 10:41:11 AM
MuhammadJA posted...

Itt: Servers don't have any way to stop griefers.

Protip: They do
---
i5-2500k Hyper212+ @ 4.6Ghz, ASRock z77 extreme4, x2 Samsung 830 128GB SSD, 16 GB DDR3 RipJaws X, SLI GTX 680 Lightning, AX850, Antec 1200 v3
#66xanthan1Posted 8/2/2013 11:02:00 AM(edited)
MuhammadJA posted...

Or, and hear me out here, you play on bad servers. Stop playing on anarachy or badly run servers and stop trying to apply your bad experience to everyone.
#67Treason686Posted 8/2/2013 1:45:26 PM
One of the best games ever. Worth playing, for sure.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h
#68YMIHerePosted 8/2/2013 10:09:25 PM
Jeffro1993 posted...
cody4783 posted...

When mods can let me set up automated mining facilities to carve out the literal entire underside of a mountian, build nuclear reactors and particle accelerators in my basement, and go on a crazed rampage with missiles and portable wormholes....And all without even leaving the same modpack. Yeah, it's worth it.

What modpack is this? I lost interest in Minecraft for a while but if I can make all of those things with a single modpack I would definitely get back into it.

I would imagine it's one of the modpacks in Feed the Beast, but I don't know which one specifically.

I love it, it's probably one of my favorite games ever.
#69ajko000Posted 8/2/2013 11:11:05 PM
It's severely overrated, I bought it, built a bunch of stuff, modded a bunch of stuff, built and modded a bunch of stuff, then did all of that in that order online, then quit.

Play time: 200 hours.

I haven't picked it back up since.
#70ElementalWindPosted 8/3/2013 8:02:51 AM
No. You jump in a server now and nobody is doing anything other than standing in their houses that they built. You can't build anywhere because they "protect" pretty much every but of land worth building on.
This is why I run my own server with a few friends.

Minecraft is cheaper and has no limitations.
Takes up a lot less space too.

If you think Lego has limitation you're doing it wrong.
Or you live in a world where gravity is strong enough that large structures can collapse.
---
"debates are contests of rhetoric, not argumentative rigor." -DragooneerZero