This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it me or is the net code for Age of Empires II: HD Edition....

#1Lord_VaderPosted 8/1/2013 12:52:46 AM(edited)
absolutely horrible even though they re-released it after 13 years? I have been having connection problems with the game ever since I started playing it in 2000. However back then I could forgive the game because it was still the 56k era and getting a game to succesffully start alone was worth the effort. Plus the game itself was (and still is) amazing. However 13 years later the game still has many of the same connection problems that it did back then. And the sad thing is that they're asking us to pay $20 for such an old game that still has many of the net code problems it did in its heyday which could have been fixed. Most of the the time a game won't even start because someone gets stuck in the "waiting" phase in the "waiting for other players" screen. I have to join at least 5 or 6 rooms before a game is succesffuly started. But that's just the icing on the cake. If a game does manage to start, then there's almost always major lag which would be unacceptable in any other multiplayer game released today. Usually it's a 2 or 3 second delay but sometimes can be as high as 5 seconds. If I do manage to play through the lag, then there's always the chance of an out of sync error occurring and 50 minutes of gameplay being lost. Just today I experienced an out of sync twice when I was engaging in a massive 3 vs. 3 or 4 vs. 4 battle in the Imperial Age.

It's sad that many modern games which can have up to 64 players fighting eachother (i.e. Battlefield 3) don't exhibit nearly as many connectivity problems as this 13 year old game. They had 13 years to fix the net code of this game but it looks like all they did was throw in a few new textures, added a higher resolution support, and stamped on a $20 pricetag which is not what this old and broken game is worth. If they had fixed the connectivity problems, I wouldn't have regretted purchasing this re-release. But in its current state it's simply frustrating and time-consuming to get a decent match going in multiplayer. Now I see why the re-release got such low reviews on sites like Gamespot. It's such a shame that this great game now has a tarnished reputation because of problems that could have easily been fixed given the current state of PC gaming and the fact that they had 13 years to do it. At least I still have the original copies of the game+expansion somewhere in my basement and there are services like voobly for multiplayer..
---
Live long and prosper.
#2chris121691Posted 8/1/2013 1:15:08 AM
Yup..I stopped playing because of the lag was too unbearable.
#3DerPancakePosted 8/1/2013 1:38:08 AM
Ensemble Studios didnt do this remake.
---
i7-4770k | EVGA GeForce GTX770 2GB | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM
Samsung 840 120GB SSD | CM Storm Enforcer | Corsair TX 750 Watt
#4Lord_Vader(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2013 10:47:54 AM
DerPancake posted...

They don't even exist anymore. >_>
---
Live long and prosper.
#5Hunter_mkPosted 8/1/2013 11:00:26 AM
what a shame, I really wanted to buy this game
---
RIP Xbox One 2013-2013
#6DerPancakePosted 8/1/2013 11:03:08 AM
Lord_Vader posted...
DerPancake posted...

They don't even exist anymore. >_>

Exactly.
---
i7-4770k | EVGA GeForce GTX770 2GB | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM
#7DerPancakePosted 8/1/2013 11:04:16 AM
Hunter_mk posted...

If you don't have the original version, get that one instead. Its 9 dollars in Amazon (with expansion), and you can download Voobly to play online multiplayer.
---
#8Lord_Vader(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2013 11:08:18 AM
DerPancake posted...
Hunter_mk posted...

If you don't have the original version, get that one instead. Its 9 dollars in Amazon (with expansion), and you can download Voobly to play online multiplayer.

This. Ironically even though Voobly is a fan-made service it doesn't have nearly as many problems as the Steam-derived multiplayer and matchmaking service in the HD edition.
---
Live long and prosper.