This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

People complain to no end

#1mikewu1Posted 8/1/2013 6:45:04 AM
So I was bored and decided to give my ISP a good review (CenturyLink) because I think they are great. I ended up looking up their facebook page and everyone is complaining about how bad they are and how great comcast, AT&T, Verizon,etc. and how much CL sucks. I go check out these companies on their facebook pages and everyone else is complaining how they suck too! Comcast sucks, Verizon sucks, etc.

Facebook is the epitome of what mankind is now a days.

Blogfaqs
#2DiviDudePosted 8/1/2013 6:53:44 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#3KURRUPTORPosted 8/1/2013 6:56:31 AM
Actually ISP's in the US are notoriously bad. You basically pay twice the price for half the speed that many other first world countries have. Then you have the fact that the big ISP's in the US are just an oligopoly and price fix their services so that they don't even have to try to be competitive or offer better service. It's one of those things that should be illegal but since they are raking in so much money they have plenty to spend on lobbyists and making sure no one F's with them.

It's a horrible system that is currently in place with no motivation to actually spend anything on increasing performance. It's much more profitable to just slowly up their service prices and keep raking in money while spending next to nothing on maintaining/upgrading their infrastructure.

If you don't think that's worth of complaining about then that's on you, but there are some pretty serious ethic issues about how ISP's run their businesses in the US.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#4Incendia_IntusPosted 8/1/2013 6:57:28 AM
A lot of people complain simply because it makes them feel better. Too bad they can't see how annoying they are after a bit, eh?
---
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz| Phantek PH-TC14PE| EVGA GTX 580 | G.SKILL Sniper 8GB | OCZ Vertex 2 40GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | HAF 912
#5Ch3wyPosted 8/1/2013 7:07:42 AM
KURRUPTOR posted...
Actually ISP's in the US are notoriously bad. You basically pay twice the price for half the speed that many other first world countries have. Then you have the fact that the big ISP's in the US are just an oligopoly and price fix their services so that they don't even have to try to be competitive or offer better service. It's one of those things that should be illegal but since they are raking in so much money they have plenty to spend on lobbyists and making sure no one F's with them.

It's a horrible system that is currently in place with no motivation to actually spend anything on increasing performance. It's much more profitable to just slowly up their service prices and keep raking in money while spending next to nothing on maintaining/upgrading their infrastructure.

If you don't think that's worth of complaining about then that's on you, but there are some pretty serious ethic issues about how ISP's run their businesses in the US.

This. People should be complaining about their ISPs. Constantly.

ISP does something to dick you over? Submit a complaint to the BBB. It only takes 5 minutes. It's there for a reason, and ****ty companies should be criticized for being ****ty.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#6mikewu1(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2013 7:13:31 AM
Ch3wy posted...
KURRUPTOR posted...

ISP does something to dick you over? Submit a complaint to the BBB. It only takes 5 minutes. It's there for a reason, and ****ty companies should be criticized for being ****ty.

Haven't been "dicked" over in the 10 years I have been with CenturyLink (qwest before takeover). I have always been given the speeds advertised for the price that was shown to me.
#7Ch3wyPosted 8/1/2013 7:18:03 AM
mikewu1 posted...
Ch3wy posted...
KURRUPTOR posted...

Haven't been "dicked" over in the 10 years I have been with CenturyLink (qwest before takeover). I have always been given the speeds advertised for the price that was shown to me.

Sure you have, they charge way more than the ISPs in pretty much any other country for your internet. Multiply your internet speed by at least 4 and that's what you should be getting for what you're paying.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#8blade6321Posted 8/1/2013 7:40:47 AM
You're complaining about people complaining?
---
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198044407572/
-Crabdom Ambassador.
#9KURRUPTORPosted 8/1/2013 7:41:30 AM
mikewu1 posted...
Ch3wy posted...
KURRUPTOR posted...

Basically someone sold you a turd sandwich but since they told you up front it was a turd sandwich then that's ok with you. The problem is that the turd sandwich is the only available sandwich and the companies selling them know this so they have to reason to offer you something better, in fact it actually just encourages them to get together and fix their prices to make you pay even more for your turd sandwich rather than offer you a better sandwich, as that's a much more profitable route for all the sandwich companies as a whole.

Price fixing is actually illegal in the US as it directly negates the idea of capitalism which our entire economy is based around, the fact that ISP's do it and nothing is done about it is downright wrong but like I said they make so much money that it's pretty easy for them to make sure that no legislation ever comes up or gets passed to do anything about it. The big ISP's are basically running a legal-monopoly right now in the US.

If you are happy with that then good for you but most people are not.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#10mikewu1(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2013 8:03:17 AM
nice analogy not. If you dont like it then dont pay for it. Oh wait you probably will anyways because people couldnt live without internet with it ( literally)

You could say that with any service. TV, Gasoline prices, cellphone service. Business are in it for profit not to hold your hand and give the price you want