This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

People complain to no end

#31ClouddxPosted 8/1/2013 11:07:32 AM
People saying Comcast is great!? Now that's a new one.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 470 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#32SnadadosPosted 8/1/2013 11:19:29 AM
Polaris posted...
For as long as I can remember, Americans have held their communication companies (phone, internet, tv) in extremely low regard. There is a strong perception that prices are unfairly inflated.

Americans seem to view communications as though it were a public utility. But the companies that provide these services are not subject to the kinds of regulations of a utility company sees, with the exception of landline phone service. It is the market providing a service at the price it can charge, which is not the same thing as a utility providing a service at the price that is fair.

Expectations do not seem to align with this reality, however.

The problem is that the companies have no competition.
In many places there is only one choice and if you don't like it then you're SOL.
There is no "market" there is a single company and they are free to charge what ever they feel.
At best you'll see a single cable internet provider and a single DSL provider.

What people expect are a service that works for a fair price.
The service working can be hit or miss and there is no way to know if the price is fair if there is nothing to compare it to.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#33xlequltxPosted 8/1/2013 11:28:45 AM
It's nice how people settle for garbage and negotiate against themselves.
#34wert87658Posted 8/1/2013 11:44:51 AM
Polaris posted...
For as long as I can remember, Americans have held their communication companies (phone, internet, tv) in extremely low regard. There is a strong perception that prices are unfairly inflated.

Americans seem to view communications as though it were a public utility. But the companies that provide these services are not subject to the kinds of regulations of a utility company sees, with the exception of landline phone service. It is the market providing a service at the price it can charge, which is not the same thing as a utility providing a service at the price that is fair.

Expectations do not seem to align with this reality, however.

This is a very good objectively neutral statement. I agree and I think there needs to be some sort PSA about internet speeds (and even public works) in other countries. Explain to people that South Korea has internet speed anywhere from 100-1000 (even more for dial-up) for about 40$ per month. I pay slightly more than double that and get 100 mbits (advertised, I get about 80 during peak hours.) and that's considered great for most of the U.S. Uninformed people are perfectly content with what they have because they assume it's good. They'll only complain when something goes wrong OR until they learn that they're being screwed.
#35TiamatKillerPosted 8/1/2013 12:29:51 PM(edited)
The problem is that the major ISPs have such a dominant hold on the current infrastructure, and the ability to charge a premium for the 'best' internet speeds, that they don't even bother improving the infrastructure.

The fact is, we have the ability to have comparable internet infrastructure to the Asian countries, but we're stuck with what we have because there is no other competition: it's Big ISP A vs. Big ISP B vs. Big ISP C, and they've already met in a conference room together to figure out the highest price.

People 'complaining' are supposed to do what, exactly, in order to bring attention to this? Besides expressing their displeasure? This is the question that I want answered, instead of TC bringing up everything BUT the ISPs.
---
i5-3570k @3.4GHZ_GTX 560Ti (2GB)_Asus P8Z77-V Pro_Samsung 840 (250GB)_1TB Seagate_8GB RAM_Zalman 9900 MAX_CoolerMaster HAF 912
#36JonWood007Posted 8/1/2013 12:01:51 PM
KURRUPTOR posted...
Actually ISP's in the US are notoriously bad. You basically pay twice the price for half the speed that many other first world countries have. Then you have the fact that the big ISP's in the US are just an oligopoly and price fix their services so that they don't even have to try to be competitive or offer better service. It's one of those things that should be illegal but since they are raking in so much money they have plenty to spend on lobbyists and making sure no one F's with them.

It's a horrible system that is currently in place with no motivation to actually spend anything on increasing performance. It's much more profitable to just slowly up their service prices and keep raking in money while spending next to nothing on maintaining/upgrading their infrastructure.

If you don't think that's worth of complaining about then that's on you, but there are some pretty serious ethic issues about how ISP's run their businesses in the US.

This. ISPs just suck in general.

I wouldnt even say this attitude is limited to ISPs. It's the economy in general. In the US, we live in an age of corporate greed, the worst we've been in since the 1920s. Companies are cheaping out wherever they can, are pocketing record profits, and are telling their customers and employees to just suck it up and deal with it. That and, as mentioned above by the other poster, these guys lobby the government to write the laws in their favor.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#37DerPancakePosted 8/1/2013 12:09:42 PM(edited)
Comcast is amazing, they got amazing customer support, and their internet speed is really good for the price. 35 dollars a month for this:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2874899520

Obviously Google Fiber destroys it and its just 2x in price and 20x faster, but Google Fiber is not in California.

ALSO. Capitalism, deal with it.
---
i7-4770k | EVGA GeForce GTX770 2GB | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM
Samsung 840 120GB SSD | CM Storm Enforcer | Corsair TX 750 Watt