This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best gaming controller?

#1XxTwisted26xXPosted 8/1/2013 8:19:04 AM
Fed up with the controls with Dark Souls and Sleeping Dogs. So I'm looking to buy a gaming controller for Steam games. Is the Xbox controller the best? I have 4 wireless controllers but they wont work when i plug them in (play and charge kit).
---
Steam: xxtwisted26xx
"When you play the games of thrones, you win or you die. Theres no middle ground" - Cersei Lannister to Eddard Stark
#2burn420247Posted 8/1/2013 8:20:36 AM
wired 360 controller is the best option.

u cant use a wireless 360 controller w/ the play and charge kit, it doesnt work. u need a wireless receiver to use wireless controllers.
---
Boxer Santaros: I'm a pimp. And pimps don't commit suicide.
#3Ch3wyPosted 8/1/2013 8:21:01 AM
360 controller is the most compatible one and generally considered the best.

You need a wireless receiver or a wired controller. Play and charge kits are only for charging so they don't work like that.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#4GreenMage7Posted 8/1/2013 8:27:50 AM(edited)
You can get a PDP Rock Candy one if you want to save money.

http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Candy-Xbox-360-Controller-Blue/dp/B008U2XE9O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1375370577&sr=8-2&keywords=360+rock+candy+controller

It's almost the exact same as the 360 controller except it has slightly different start and select buttons. Despite the similar d-pad, it is far superior. Afterglow is the same controller with lights. It uses X-Input so it registers as a 360 controller.

Other than that, the regular Microsoft 360 controller is the standard and is plug and play on almost all modern PC games with controller support.

This is what you need for wireless controllers to register on PC.

http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Wireless-Receiver-compatible-Xbox-controller/dp/B0096PLB9O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1375370842&sr=8-2&keywords=360+wireless+controller+pc
#5XxTwisted26xX(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2013 8:28:09 AM
Oh wait, are these 3rd party controllers not "plug and play"?
---
"When you play the games of thrones, you win or you die. Theres no middle ground" - Cersei Lannister to Eddard Stark
#6XxTwisted26xX(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2013 8:29:12 AM
GreenMage7 posted...

http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Candy-Xbox-360-Controller-Blue/dp/B008U2XE9O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1375370577&sr=8-2&keywords=360+rock+candy+controller

It's almost the exact same as the 360 controller except it has slightly different start and select buttons. Despite the similar d-pad, it is far superior. Afterglow is the same controller with lights. It uses X-Input so it registers as a 360 controller.

Other than that, the regular Microsoft 360 controller is the standard and is plug and play on almost all modern PC games with controller support.

This is what you need for wireless controllers to register on PC.

http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Wireless-Receiver-compatible-Xbox-controller/dp/B0096PLB9O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1375370842&sr=8-2&keywords=360+wireless+controller+pc

Wow that blue controller looks sexy though, totally matches my Blue LED keyboard, mouse and chassis <3
---
#7ThePHiLsTeRPosted 8/1/2013 8:29:14 AM
GreenMage7 posted...

Don't get any third party controllers.

First party controllers always > third party because:

1) they are mass produced = quality yet good price

2) produced for masses and kiddies who rage quit throwing their controller across the room. Only to be picked back up in 5 minutes to be used again. And what do ya know it still will work! Most durable.
---
i5-2500k, azrock z68 Gen3 Extreme 3, 8g ram, win7, crossfire sapphire 6850, 256gb Samsung 840, CM QuickFirePro Brown Switches, Korean IPS monitor, Playstation 3
#8GreenMage7Posted 8/1/2013 8:37:53 AM(edited)
The Afterglow and Rock Candy ones are plug and play because they register as a 360 controller.

Microsoft controllers have just as many problems as the third party ones, they are just different. While having slightly higher build quality, the sticks have a tendency to become loose, causing a "centered" stick to drift, and it's a very common problem.

PDP sells more third party controllers than any other company. They probably sell more controllers than Microsoft because they make them for every system. Don't be silly.

As I said, the PDP ones have a far superior d-pad. I use an official Microsoft one but only because it is wireless and I have the receiver.
#9Killah PriestPosted 8/1/2013 8:40:54 AM
I have a wireless xbox 360 controller and a wired one.

I prefer the wireless ones.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#10Garquille14Posted 8/1/2013 8:51:00 AM(edited)
I use both a 360 controller and a Wii Classic Controller Pro w/ USB adapter
the latter mostly being used for games where I want to use the dpad

and I don't recommend any third party controllers ever
---
backloggery.com/Garquille
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein