This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best gaming controller?

#31ElDudorinoPosted 8/1/2013 4:08:14 PM
MyDogSkip posted...
Nicodimus posted...
IMO, the best controller ever created is the PS3 controller (Sixaxis or DS3, makes no difference.) So, I use one of those with MotionInJoy and it works perfectly.

But then you have MotionJoy wartware on your computer. Nearly impossible to remove all traces of it and it's buggy as hell.

MotionInJoy is outdated. There's an infinitely better solution out there now, available here:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

MotionInJoy wasn't THAT bad but it was definitely messy. The above solution is the modern one which has replaced MiJ.
#32NicodimusPosted 8/1/2013 4:38:37 PM(edited)
MyDogSkip posted...
Nicodimus posted...
IMO, the best controller ever created is the PS3 controller (Sixaxis or DS3, makes no difference.) So, I use one of those with MotionInJoy and it works perfectly.

But then you have MotionJoy wartware on your computer. Nearly impossible to remove all traces of it and it's buggy as hell.

I've never had a problem with it. I click on the shortcut to open it, I click "enable" and then go right into my game. Takes all of 5 seconds, and works 100% every time.

ElDudorino posted...
MotionInJoy is outdated. There's an infinitely better solution out there now, available here:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

MotionInJoy wasn't THAT bad but it was definitely messy. The above solution is the modern one which has replaced MiJ.

Messy? Again, it takes 5 seconds to set up. It simply works.

As for what you linked, I have three questions:

-Why would I need to replace something that works perfectly? This isn't a video card here, it's just a driver/button mapper.

-I'd have to buy a bluetooth dongle to make it work? I'd just as soon keep it hooked to the USB so the charge never runs out, and not spend any extra money.

-Have you actually read through that forum you linked me to? Plenty of bugs and issues happening for people, and it seems that that program is now abandonware and if you're experiencing an issue, it's probably not getting fixed.

---
My movie and gaming room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
My pets: http://imgur.com/a/P9VGU
#33ElDudorinoPosted 8/1/2013 6:27:21 PM(edited)
Nicodimus posted...
Messy? Again, it takes 5 seconds to set up. It simply works.
-I'd have to buy a bluetooth dongle to make it work? I'd just as soon keep it hooked to the USB so the charge never runs out, and not spend any extra money.
-Have you actually read through that forum you linked me to? Plenty of bugs and issues happening for people, and it seems that that program is now abandonware and if you're experiencing an issue, it's probably not getting fixed.

MotionInJoy IS messy. Once you've installed it, you have to run the DS3 Tool every time you restart your computer and again every time you unplug a controller. In my case, I had some long USB extension cables I used to play from my couch with but they seemed to lose their connection for a brief second if I bumped them. Then, I'd have to quit whatever game I was in and re-run DS3Tool to get my controller working again. You couldn't just alt-tab from the game and do it that way so I'd have to completely exit. Hey, it wasn't the end of the world, but even when I was advocating that people use it (back when the alternative was to install libusb32 and possibly freak out your computer) I definitely wasn't going to pretend it was perfect.

In contrast, the solution I linked really DOES "simply work." I don't have to load up some program when I restart my computer, clumsily knock a USB cable loose, or anything. You don't need a Bluetooth dongle; you just need that if you want to play via Bluetooth. If you want to play while hooked up via USB, you can. In my case, I actually did want to play with Bluetooth but MotionInJoy wouldn't support my adapter, so it was a welcome change that this software does support it (in addition to USB).

Also, its last update was in May, whereas MotionInJoy's last official update was in 2011 and last beta version was over a year ago. Seems a bit odd to call Scarlet.Crush's fix abandonware when it's a year and a half newer than the alternative.

As for bugs in the forum, I'm not surprised. First of all, it's important to note that the original post was of a completely different version back in 2011, and a lot of the replies are from that time as well. But the original post has been edited a number of times and was most recently updated last month. So a lot of those bug reports don't apply. Some bug reports maybe still do appy, but the same can be said of any driver for anything.

At any rate, MotionInJoy's forums were full of bug reports, too. But you wouldn't be able to see them all the time, given that MotionInJoy's website was also down for a month starting around the time this solution was last updated and I'm surprised to even see it back online. In fact, I think it's because MotionInJoy went down and appeared to be no longer supported that work was even done on this project.

Also... why are we arguing about this?
#34GreenMage7Posted 8/1/2013 6:41:22 PM
Nicodimus posted...

Terrible L2/R2 buttons, dead zone in sticks, when playing games that use the sticks a lot your thumbs can run into each other and slide off, short handles, Cross/Circle/Square/Triangle is inferior to A/B/X/Y...

Of course it's my opinion, well... the dead zone in the sticks isn't. That's fact. I also like large controllers. At least you like it though, I just can't recommend it to other people myself.
#35ElDudorinoPosted 8/1/2013 6:47:40 PM
I definitely do despise the L2/R2, and I liked them a lot better on the PS2 controller because they didn't hang back and get accidentally depressed if you set the controller down. I do find the controller mildly uncomfortable but never to the point that it forces me to stop or anything.

I gotta have my D-Pad, though. If they made an X360 controller with a good D-Pad I might prefer that, but until I use a controller with a better D-Pad it's DS3 all the way for me.
#36KilronPosted 8/1/2013 7:41:42 PM
uhohjonah posted...
The Logitech F310 is the best IMO plus it's only $20

I personally find the triggers on the F310 to be very uncomfortable when playing Sonic All Stars Racing, but you can certainly do worse for $20.
---
A duck walks into a doctor's office and says, "Quack!"
#37NicodimusPosted 8/1/2013 7:44:34 PM
ElDudorino posted...
Also... why are we arguing about this?

I guess because you're telling me that something that takes 5 seconds and works perfectly is a hassle, and I don't think it is.
---
My movie and gaming room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
My pets: http://imgur.com/a/P9VGU
#38XxTwisted26xX(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2013 7:48:27 PM
Thank you all for the feedback. Ended up getting the Blue Afterglow controller and LOVE it so far, matches my Blue LED themed PC :)
---
Steam: xxtwisted26xx
"When you play the games of thrones, you win or you die. Theres no middle ground" - Cersei Lannister to Eddard Stark
#39How1ePosted 8/1/2013 8:00:48 PM
+1 to the xinput wrapper + PS3 controller
---
In the future, there will be robots.