This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

AMD 13.8 Beta "Frame Pacing Fix" Released

#31ShebeskiiPosted 8/1/2013 3:17:36 PM
Snuckie7 posted...
Alright so I just gave these drivers a spin, and it seems like the fix did wonders for single card frametimes too.

Metro LL went from this

13.6 beta 2
http://i.imgur.com/N45vTpc.png

to this

13.8 beta 1
http://i.imgur.com/wwu8JeK.png

That's a nice improvement for even single GPU.

Nice. This really helps return AMD's reputation.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#32Lemur_HPosted 8/1/2013 3:19:35 PM
I take it the black area in the graph is frametimes?
#33Killah PriestPosted 8/1/2013 3:19:52 PM
Call me when the release is official.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#34ThescyyPosted 8/1/2013 3:55:07 PM
About time. Read through the pcper review at work and it looks to be a good start. It's still not quite as consistent as sli but it's honestly to a point where most people wouldn't notice.
---
| i7 3930k @ 4.5Ghz | H220 | asrock x79 extreme 9 | 16GB 1600mhz ram | SLI GTX 780 | Samsung 830 256GB SSD | 8TB HDDs | SeaSonic M12II 850 | Fractal design R4 |
#35Snuckie7Posted 8/1/2013 4:02:42 PM
Lemur_H posted...
I take it the black area in the graph is frametimes?

The framerate is represented by a black line, so if an area is solidly black it means the framerate is jumping around quickly.

Killah Priest posted...
Call me when the release is official.

This is the official release. The kinds of betas you're thinking about are what AMD had a few months ago with the prototype drivers.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#36Killah PriestPosted 8/1/2013 4:06:42 PM(edited)
This is the official release. The kinds of betas you're thinking about are what AMD had a few months ago with the prototype drivers.

no, its a beta, the current official release is 13.4.

I'm not making fun of AMDs drivers, just saying call me when its the official release and I'll install it.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#37ThescyyPosted 8/1/2013 4:09:41 PM
Killah Priest posted...

I'm not making fun of AMDs drivers, just saying call me when its the official release and I'll install it.

If you have xfire and aren't installing these you're out of mind.
---
| i7 3930k @ 4.5Ghz | H220 | asrock x79 extreme 9 | 16GB 1600mhz ram | SLI GTX 780 | Samsung 830 256GB SSD | 8TB HDDs | SeaSonic M12II 850 | Fractal design R4 |
#38Snuckie7Posted 8/1/2013 4:09:59 PM
Killah Priest posted...

Except these "beta" drivers are not really beta in the traditional sense. They're perfectly stable enough for everyday use, and the only difference between beta and WHQL is a certification from Microsoft, which takes time and money. Makes sense to skip the whole certification process tbh and using the resources to make the actual drivers better.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#39Panzer_SquidPosted 8/1/2013 4:10:48 PM
Killah Priest posted...

The difference between the betas and the WHQL drivers is simply that Microsoft got paid to "approve" it for windows. The Nvidia drivers that killed a few cards recently were WHQL; it's not a seal of quality.
---
The Panzer Squid is the ultimate hunter, blending into any environment until it has the opportunity to shove a rocket up urbum
#40romsnbombsPosted 8/1/2013 4:16:52 PM(edited)
SmoboHash posted...
What do you mean by fixed time step in the config?

iFPSClamp=60, + either use 60hz vsync and or cap at 60 fps with dxtory or whatever capper.

It is quite similar to original Doom 3 engine. It also have to be run in fixed time step with physics engine to eliminate stuttering.

But then, we are all talking about different kinds of stuttering introduced into this thread. Oh, and snuckie, I don't know what type of "buttery smooth" you are talking about, since that is subjective. I have had people sitting next to me who say idtech 4 doom 3 with no config tweak is buttery smooth, even though it clearly stutters badly once every second. But then metro is more loading stutter, but I can get it "buttery smooth" on max settings (by my standards), but that involve quarter refresh on 120hz vsync and a 30 fps cap too. Then it is "not bad". Not RAGE smooth, but....not bad.
---
2600k | P8P67 M Pro | 8GB | GTX 780 | 700W silent pro