This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Computer Careers

#1Diesel95Posted 8/1/2013 11:37:58 AM
so i dunno if anyone here has one or not but question: im good at computers but terrible at math (i was better at Geometry then algebra ) what would be better to go after degree wise?
---
I just looked at my watch... looks like Big Daddy Cool time!!
#2DerPancakePosted 8/1/2013 11:42:20 AM
graphic design
---
i7-4770k | EVGA GeForce GTX770 2GB | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM
Samsung 840 120GB SSD | CM Storm Enforcer | Corsair TX 750 Watt
#3Mystical_NEETPosted 8/1/2013 11:43:36 AM
Good at computers

The f***? You'll need to explain that one.

As a recent BS in CS, good luck getting anywhere without math skills. Sure you don't necessarily need partial derivatives and such, but basic trig and calculus should be ingrained into you at a certain point. Of course if your only aspiration is web development aka "HTML programming" (LOL) you've got it a lot easier.
#4XjphPosted 8/1/2013 11:55:43 AM
If you're technically skilled with computers but poor at math then a trade diploma for computer support/service would probably serve you better than a degree.
---
"Much as a spiders web, it began with a single thread." - Cilym
My Library - http://xjph.net/images/Library.jpg
#5protools1983Posted 8/1/2013 11:57:31 AM
Mystical_NEET posted...
Good at computers

As a recent BS in CS, good luck getting anywhere without math skills. Sure you don't necessarily need partial derivatives and such, but basic trig and calculus should be ingrained into you at a certain point. Of course if your only aspiration is web development aka "HTML programming" (LOL) you've got it a lot easier.

Meh, this is bad data. I'm not a pro but a fairly adept programmer with years of experience and I despise math. Solid problem solving skills and common sense go a long way. Don't get discouraged because you don't like math.

Now, CS does indeed require a good deal of math but there are plenty of tech avenues to take other than CS.
---
Stand up for consumer rights! Vote with your dollar! Boycott Xbox One!!!
#6Mystical_NEETPosted 8/1/2013 12:04:11 PM
protools1983 posted...
Mystical_NEET posted...
Good at computers

Meh, this is bad data. I'm not a pro but a fairly adept programmer with years of experience and I despise math. Solid problem solving skills and common sense go a long way. Don't get discouraged because you don't like math.

Now, CS does indeed require a good deal of math but there are plenty of tech avenues to take other than CS.

Well I guess some people are satisfied being code monkeys... also just a guess, but I suspect a lot of your "problem solving skills" do involve math in some way shape or form.
#7Diesel95(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2013 12:56:51 PM
how about this??

http://www.lwtech.edu/academics/programs_of_study/digital_gaming_and_media.html
---
I just looked at my watch... looks like Big Daddy Cool time!!
#8beezer08Posted 8/1/2013 1:05:56 PM
CIS Degree
---
PSN/Steam: beezer08
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/863332/tebowed_medium.gif