This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Good action rpgs on PC?

#21valeski2236Posted 8/1/2013 7:55:41 PM
Path of exile.
---
3DS:FC 1005-8758-3458
#22NicodimusPosted 8/1/2013 8:07:01 PM
I'd never heard of Warbrand before, so I looked into it a bit. Watched some reviews, saw some gameplay footage, etc. It looks like there is a lot of tedious micromanagement, building up your army and worrying about what the neighbors think, etc...that's fine, but it seems more like a strategy game where you can actively play in the battles than a traditional RPG. Is that an accurate assessment?
---
My movie and gaming room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
My pets: http://imgur.com/a/P9VGU
#23PhilOnDezPosted 8/1/2013 8:22:33 PM
Tera is pretty fun if you want an mmo.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#24Lonestar2000Posted 8/1/2013 10:13:24 PM
HamBurglar69 posted...
Good action rpgs on PC?

Lonestar2000 posted...
Deus Ex
Deus Ex: Invisible War
Deus Ex: Human revolution
Mass Effect 1-3
Alpha Protocol
Mars: War Logs
E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy
System Shock 1 and 2
Fallout 3 and New Vegas
Jade Empire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYbetvkPA6I

Shut the f*** up.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#25levelxplanePosted 8/2/2013 2:55:43 AM
TERA is pretty cool.
---
GT: level x plane || Steam: levelxplane
Waiting for: FFXIV: A Realm Reborn, Dark Souls II,
#26FeatherwindPosted 8/2/2013 3:43:31 AM(edited)
PSO:BB is completely free. It has multiplayer components, has Diablo-ish gameplay but isn't top-down and I don't know could the combat be called "good" but still I really like that game for some reason (nostalgia perhaps, dunno). I definitely recommend that you check it out.

I too recommend M&B and M&B: Warband.

Nicodimus posted...
I'd never heard of Warbrand before, so I looked into it a bit. Watched some reviews, saw some gameplay footage, etc. It looks like there is a lot of tedious micromanagement, building up your army and worrying about what the neighbors think, etc...that's fine, but it seems more like a strategy game where you can actively play in the battles than a traditional RPG. Is that an accurate assessment?

Well it depends. The game is extremely simple (and genius, imo!) and how it plays depends on what you want to do, your mods and settings. The "obvious" way to play most of the time is adventuring around the map trying to gather a group of soldiers, leveling up and taking on progressively harder groups of enemies until you are ready to start your own kingdom. This way there is indeed some micromanagement but it is not the only way to play as you will find out when you gt more familiar with the game. In some mods the game is adjusted so that the focus is more on you such as the Revenge of the Berserk or Expanded Gameplay mods for the original M&B. However you can adventure alone in almost all mods and while this would require some grinding/cheating (you can grind once then export/import the character to avoid "true" cheats) it is a fun option in some mods such as Prophesy of Pendor.

By the way I recommend getting both the original M&B and Warband. They are for all intents and purposes the same game but the mod compatibility is different.
#27maybecallsPosted 8/2/2013 3:29:27 AM
Warband is wonderful. I've racked up 609 hours on it (offline and on) so far. Also, it only uses about 1GB of system RAM on top of the OS etc., so you get to play a great long lasting game but won't need to panic upgrade to 16GB or whatever.
#28UltraCookiePosted 8/2/2013 4:02:46 AM
HamBurglar69 posted...
Good action rpgs on PC?

Lonestar2000 posted...
Deus Ex
Deus Ex: Invisible War
Deus Ex: Human revolution
Mass Effect 1-3
Alpha Protocol
Mars: War Logs
E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy
System Shock 1 and 2
Fallout 3 and New Vegas
Jade Empire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYbetvkPA6I

They are good. They're just not great.

Easy 7/10 across the board for all 3 games, would rate the first highest (but I also haven't played each since release date, so maybe it's not as good as I remember).

Anyway, I highly recommend Witcher 2, Deus Ex series, Fallout series and Dark Souls.

Witcher 1 has very mixed opinions. Personally I thought the combat was fun, but was bogged down by a lot of issues. Give it a shot, but please don't let it have any impact on whether you will try Witcher 2 out.

Never was a fan of Elder Scrolls.
#29SinisterSlayPosted 8/2/2013 6:42:50 AM
Nicodimus posted...

You can micro manage, but I mostly let the lords do what they want.

The Diplomacy mod (which is included in other mods, but can be used stand alone, highly recommend the stand alone version even for first time play) has some nice "equip companions" options so your helpers automatically scavenge of the battlefield and take the best stuff. But only after you take what you want first.

But if you want, you can just travel around, collect soldiers, and kill everyone who opposes you.

You can join a kingdom, or try and start your own.
Or you can find a claimant and join their cause, essentially conquering an entire kingdom for them.

Or you can just run around and fight in tournaments.

you get two basic types of soldiers. Permenent party members that you have to level up and equip yourself. And regular soldiers that just level up by you choosing which path they should follow. You don't have to buy their equipment.
I usually level up soldiers to follow a path to Calvary. Mounted combat is very effective in M&B. You can decimate all but the highest tier foot soldiers.

Just last night I loaded up my conquer everything save. Trying to find the last remaining lords.s I thought they were all down to 1 man armies, but I accidentally ran into a bigger one.
I had 35 men with me, Swadian knights and one level lower (what was it called...) Basically all mounted. And I faced off against 150 enemies mixed with mounted, arrow, and sword.
I lost 1 knight, and had 6 wounded. Killed all 150 enemies effortlessly.

My trick is to charge right into the foot soldiers first with my army, kill as many as I can which demoralizes them and causes them to flee. Then their horsemen are easy pickings since they also try to flee.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#30DarkfireAxel(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2013 6:45:17 AM
Thank you all, those are a lot of games to look into.
---
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening.
But heed his lesson well, Arisen, for when the weak court death, they find it."