This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Good action rpgs on PC?

#41MwulfPosted 8/2/2013 5:41:14 PM
In terms of games on Steam, you really can't do better than Ys or The Witcher 2.

Jade Empire is also quite good, but has compatibility issues with Windows Vista, 7 and 8 that some gamers have been able to fix, and others haven't.

A lot of people also really like the Titan Quest games, but I couldn't get into them. They're like Diablo only set in mythic Greece.

Personally, one of the ARPGs I've enjoyed the most is Dungeon Siege 2. I didn't much care for the first or third game, but I really liked the second one.

And Divine Divinity (diablo-style) and Divinity II (third-person style) are also quite good.
---
"...Blame this on the misfortune of your birth."
-Char Aznable
#42GynthaeresPosted 8/2/2013 6:10:56 PM
Sinfullyvannila posted...
valeski2236 posted...
I like how some people apparently don't know what arpg's are. Tera, fallout, mass effect? Lolno.

Try torchlight 2, it was pretty decent.

Diablo-clones are only one very specific type of ARPG.

Depends on who you're talking to / how old the gamer is.

Diablo-style RPGs WERE what aRPGs were called. Hack-and-slash games with stats and loot, but minimal story and dialogue.

Only recently have people started to refer to RPGs with real-time combat as aRPGs. And it's kind of annoying because that's basically EVERY RPG these days, and it implies games with real-time combat aren't "true" RPGs somehow.
---
The sole purpose of this space is to make my post look longer.
#43valeski2236Posted 8/2/2013 6:42:56 PM
Gynthaeres posted...
valeski2236 posted...
I like how some people apparently don't know what arpg's are. Tera, fallout, mass effect? Lolno.

Diablo-style RPGs WERE what aRPGs were called. Hack-and-slash games with stats and loot, but minimal story and dialogue.

Only recently have people started to refer to RPGs with real-time combat as aRPGs. And it's kind of annoying because that's basically EVERY RPG these days, and it implies games with real-time combat aren't "true" RPGs somehow.

This one gets it.
---
3DS:FC 1005-8758-3458
#44blade6321Posted 8/2/2013 6:52:44 PM
Gynthaeres posted...
valeski2236 posted...

The first RPG's were DnD, so everything derived from that is just called an RPG. If it's got an action based combat system it's better to differentiate between the two.
---
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198044407572/
-Crabdom Ambassador.
#45SilentHawk29Posted 8/2/2013 7:56:17 PM
Gynthaeres posted...

Not really. Where did you pull this information from? I've been console gaming since the NES and PC gaming for 15 years and RPGs with real time combat were always referred to as action RPGs.
---
PSN - Srikar || Steam - SilentHawk29
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg
#46AlexTheNextOnePosted 8/3/2013 3:26:49 AM
SilentHawk29 posted...
Gynthaeres posted...

Not really. Where did you pull this information from? I've been console gaming since the NES and PC gaming for 15 years and RPGs with real time combat were always referred to as action RPGs.

I have to agree. Certainly within my circle of friends growing up, we called those kinds of games aRPGs, anyways.
---
Read everything, listen to everybody, believe nothing, until you can prove it through your own research. For that is the true mark of intelligence.
#47SlaynPosted 8/3/2013 3:47:28 AM
Well since there are so many RPG now that are "real time", I consider anything where you can actively dodge an "action" RPG. So it is based on actively running around swinging a weapon and dodging, rather than right clicking once and auto attacking, hitting abilities once in a while. So I guess really, an action RPG you have to swing each time, anything where you auto attack probably isn't. But yes, clasically an "action" RPG was basically the Diablo clone genre. I really never considered Elder Scrolls to be action RPG, because usually they are played in first person, and I generally don't consider first person to be action RPG. I dunno, hard to say now.
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116
#48SinfullyvannilaPosted 8/3/2013 4:34:03 AM(edited)
Gynthaeres posted...
valeski2236 posted...

I started following video game press in the early 90s, and Action-RPG was commonplace no later than Secret of Mana.

Although I agree with the second part, especially since no single player video game RPG can be called a true RPG.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#49SilentHawk29Posted 8/3/2013 5:49:01 AM
Secret of Mana came to mind for me as well when I made my post, just forgot to mention it, lol.
---
PSN - Srikar || Steam - SilentHawk29
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg