This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm in the market for a new smartphone. What do you guys use/recommend?

#21EdgeofDarknessPosted 8/1/2013 5:57:57 PM
Jprime666 posted...
Love_Me_Sexy posted...
Backlog posted...
iPhone 5

LAWL

Back on topic, I have a Note II. It's a decent phone, the screen size is its main selling point. Plus, it has a stylus!

Doesn't a stylus imply a resistive touchscreen. I don't know if I'd was that for a phone. Had a phone with a resistive screen before and I didn't like it.

No its the same heat sensitive screen that everything else uses, the stylus is specifically designed to only work for that phone, and even has a few special "alt" button built in that does special functions and has like 300 different levels of touch sensitivity.
#22valeski2236Posted 8/1/2013 6:01:55 PM
EdgeofDarkness posted...
Jprime666 posted...
Love_Me_Sexy posted...
Backlog posted...
iPhone 5

LAWL

Back on topic, I have a Note II. It's a decent phone, the screen size is its main selling point. Plus, it has a stylus!

Doesn't a stylus imply a resistive touchscreen. I don't know if I'd was that for a phone. Had a phone with a resistive screen before and I didn't like it.

No its the same heat sensitive screen that everything else uses, the stylus is specifically designed to only work for that phone, and even has a few special "alt" button built in that does special functions and has like 300 different levels of touch sensitivity.

Electricity not heat.
---
3DS:FC 1005-8758-3458
#23CardigansFanPosted 8/1/2013 6:33:39 PM
(no specific order for any of these - just top suggestions)

If you absolutely want one right now:
-Galaxy S4
-HTC One
-Xperia Z

If you can wait 2-3 months:
-iPhone 5S / 6 / whatever it'll be called
-Note III
-Nexus 5

If you don't want something too big but want Android and not have the phone be crap:
-Galaxy S4 Mini
-HTC One Mini

There's also the Lumia 1020 if you want basically the best camera you'll always have with you, but Windows Phone might be a bit of a downer in terms of apps, especially coming from an iPhone 4.

Note 2 is pointless to get right now with the S4 out and the Note 3 around the corner, as well as the iPhone 5 for it's successor on the way as well. And no, this isn't one of those "well there's always a better phone around the corner if you keep waiting" - unless Apple, Samsung, and Google (and now HTC) intend to break the phone-release trend they seem to be sticking to.

Skip the Moto X all-together unless you really care about made in 'Murica.

And yes, the GS4 is a substantial upgrade from the GS3, unlike what some will say.

Gimme a list of stuff you'd like to do with a phone, what features you do and don't care about (ex. do you care about it being waterproof), and whatever other relevant information you can think of. I've had a lot of phones/tablets over the past year and deal extensively with them on a daily basis, so I can probably give a decent recommendation.
---
3570k | GTX670 FTW | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD
S4 Mini * Sharp Actius MM20 * AKA Magus77
#24RyamusPosted 8/1/2013 6:40:01 PM
Get the S4.
#25TendoDRMPosted 8/1/2013 7:54:49 PM
I love my Note 2. The HTC One would be my second choice.
---
Cel Damage! Tonight at 8:00!
#26WyzeGyePosted 8/1/2013 8:24:51 PM
I like my Optimus G... It's a nexus 4 with LTE. It doesnt break the bank and it's a powerful phone.
---
http://i.imgur.com/2dhh8tn.gif
http://i.imgur.com/p5EXSiq.jpg
#27RemyLebeau_88Posted 8/1/2013 9:28:32 PM
I went with the S4 recently over the HTC One. Either seems like a good choice, but I didn't like the idea of not having access to the battery with the HTC (since my last phone's battery warped) or expandable memory.
---
http://www.ddgamer.com/76561198001005811/camo_sig2.png http://i.imgur.com/pujKk.jpg
[i5 2500] [8GB DDR3] [GTX 560 Ti] [Corsair 650TX] [Win 7 x64] [1920x1080]
#28Sk0rbutPosted 8/1/2013 10:32:47 PM
I recently bought a Samsung E1150 and it's quite amazing - I can call people, I can text people, the battery easily last for two weeks without charging and... yeah, that's pretty much it ^^
---
I am the bringer of death. Fall to your knees and beg for mercy... Or give me a sandwich, I'm pretty hungry.
#29datopgamerPosted 8/2/2013 12:16:46 AM
Got an s4 active recently and its been great. Its waterproof just in case you somehow get your phone wet and its still just as good as the standard s4. I cant think of a single drawback for this phone.
---
Posted using GameFlux
#30_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 8/2/2013 4:10:50 AM
I like the S3 and S4 but think they are kind of ugly. I like the HTC one X and one, but do not like not having a replaceable battery.

I have the S3. Not upgrading anytime soon. I think the differences between current and last generation are too small to be spending about 500 euro or so.
---
I5 760 | GTX 560 Ti | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H