This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

unable to install Vista

#1MadMadMarkPosted 8/1/2013 5:28:35 PM
I know this O/S is getting old now but I still need help with getting a friends PC up and running.
He needed a new PC and as funds are limited he has to go with his Vista disc.
The problem is it wont let Vista install on it and I don't know what the problem is.
MOBO is a ASUS p8z77-v lx2 with 16 gb ram intel 3570k cpu and a 6970 gpu.
New seagate 2 tb SATA 3 6 gb/s hard drive and a 64 gb ssd for intel smart response to set up after windows is installed.
First attempt new drive set up as partition 0 (full 1.86 tb) and then formatted but gets to the very end of windows set up and a window appears saying windows cannot configure on this hardware.
So I go into BIOS and make sure all is as it should be and it is.( I have the same mobo on one of my PC's at home) and after building about 15 PC,s I feel comfortable with all the settings.
So after many attempts and doing things like changing all the cables and plugging into different SATA
sockets,and various memory checks I gave up and put an old SATA 2 500gb harddrive in and formatted it and Vista installed straight up?
So I go figure something wrong with the new drive so I got another 2 tb SATA 3 but a Toshiba this time.
So in it goes no change to the BIOS left it as it was when VISTA installed on the 500gb and just like before Vista gets to the very end of the install and the dam window appears again saying cannot configure on this hardware.
So now I am getting really pissed and dig out a old 2 tb WD SATA 2 hard-drive with known bad sectors on it and Vista bloody installed on it?

What the hell am I doing wrong with these 2 new 2 tb SATA 3 hard-drives?
Do they need formatting first within windows as I am not sure these new drives are formatting correctly.
Is the disc I am using with only VISTA SP1 on the disc conflicting with new SATA 3 firmware?

Please help me!
#2MrXGamerPosted 8/1/2013 5:35:31 PM
Always check the motherboard's official site for updates and FAQs. I looked it up quick and found this -

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z77V_LX/#support_Knowledge_653B53B7-4491-F34D-EC6C-480A5F749E54
---
Asus Z77 Sabertooth | i7 3770k | EVGA GTX 680 Classified | Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 1600MHz | Crucial m4 SSD | Blu-ray | Win 7 x64
#3MadMadMark(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2013 5:56:54 PM
Ok thanks, but I don't get that error message and I have successfully installed Vista 64 bit on 2 old SATA 2 drives even one with bad sectors.
It's these 2 new SATA 3 drives I cannot get to work.
I will reduce the RAM down to only duel channel and see if that works as at present he has all 4 slots used with 16 gb ram.
The only other thing that is different is they are new SATA 3 and I am not sure Vista is formatting them correctly.
Is that a issue.
New one on me if it is.