This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

[Linux] I can't change file permissions for this USB drive.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. [Linux] I can't change file permissions for this USB drive.

User Info: TheAnthraxBunny

TheAnthraxBunny
3 years ago#1
Regardless of whether or not I'm super user, whatever changes I make to the permissions don't stick. I'm using Kubuntu 13.04 with the Dolphin file manager.

http://i.imgur.com/MilThdR.png

That's what the permissions are stuck at. If you need any other information just tell me.

Edit: I should include that I formatted it with KDE's own partition editor. This was the first time I've ever used it so I guess the problem could be related to that?
The best you can is good enough.

User Info: nimrod5488

nimrod5488
3 years ago#2
Have you tried using chmod? I think that is what the command is.

TheAnthraxBunny
3 years ago#3
nimrod5488 posted...
Have you tried using chmod? I think that is what the command is.

Yes. It doesn't change anything. This is the command I used:

sudo chmod 775 /media/FCD8-49EF

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
3 years ago#4
First make sure you're using a filesystem that even supports permissions in the first place. If it's any variant of FAT it won't.
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.

TheAnthraxBunny
3 years ago#5
Orestes417 posted...
First make sure you're using a filesystem that even supports permissions in the first place. If it's any variant of FAT it won't.

I just figured that one out myself. I switched to ext4 and it worked fine. But I found out the permissions weren't even the problem in the first place. The computer I was trying to grab files off of doesn't let anyone who isn't an admin use USB drives. Strange, I know. My dad must have done that by accident. He likes to tinker with things a lot.

Thanks for the help, anyway. I think it's funny how I get a quicker response here than I can at a dedicated Linux forum.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. [Linux] I can't change file permissions for this USB drive.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived