This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

[Linux] I can't change file permissions for this USB drive.

#1TheAnthraxBunnyPosted 8/1/2013 6:10:02 PM(edited)
Regardless of whether or not I'm super user, whatever changes I make to the permissions don't stick. I'm using Kubuntu 13.04 with the Dolphin file manager.

http://i.imgur.com/MilThdR.png

That's what the permissions are stuck at. If you need any other information just tell me.

Edit: I should include that I formatted it with KDE's own partition editor. This was the first time I've ever used it so I guess the problem could be related to that?
---
The best you can is good enough.
#2nimrod5488Posted 8/1/2013 6:05:38 PM
Have you tried using chmod? I think that is what the command is.
#3TheAnthraxBunny(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2013 6:06:57 PM
nimrod5488 posted...
Have you tried using chmod? I think that is what the command is.

Yes. It doesn't change anything. This is the command I used:

sudo chmod 775 /media/FCD8-49EF
---
#4Orestes417Posted 8/1/2013 6:13:07 PM
First make sure you're using a filesystem that even supports permissions in the first place. If it's any variant of FAT it won't.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#5TheAnthraxBunny(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2013 6:18:45 PM
Orestes417 posted...
First make sure you're using a filesystem that even supports permissions in the first place. If it's any variant of FAT it won't.

I just figured that one out myself. I switched to ext4 and it worked fine. But I found out the permissions weren't even the problem in the first place. The computer I was trying to grab files off of doesn't let anyone who isn't an admin use USB drives. Strange, I know. My dad must have done that by accident. He likes to tinker with things a lot.

Thanks for the help, anyway. I think it's funny how I get a quicker response here than I can at a dedicated Linux forum.
---