This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Doom 3...scary as ****. FEAR.... not scary?

#1BendoHendoPosted 8/1/2013 9:30:45 PM
I don't know why but I thought Doom 3 was horrifying with all of the spawn behind you in the dark enemies, but I was not scared at all of FEAR. Ghosts and little girls don't scare me, and slowing down time made things even less scary.

--
#2Tyranius2Posted 8/1/2013 9:33:52 PM
FEAR not being scary is not surprising. I really don't see how you can get scared from it.
---
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Tyranius&show=0&order=4
Recently retired from Anime =[
#3Ratchet611Posted 8/1/2013 9:42:08 PM(edited)
F.E.A.R. is not scary at all. There's just way too much action going on and too many soldiers popping up left and right for the game to be any scary. ...And yeah... there's really nothing scary about fighting soldiers that are arguably weaker than you are.
---
FX-6100 Bulldozer - XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB - 8GB Patriot Gamer 2 - CM HAF 912 - 500GB - HIVE 550w - 1920x1080 - 23" Acer
#4TheWidowmaker1Posted 8/1/2013 9:42:05 PM
I actually just finished my first Doom 3 playthrough 10 minutes ago and was very surprised at how tense it had me while playing. I figured it would get repetitive and the atmosphere would wear off quickly, but that wasn't the case at all.
#5JavelinPosted 8/1/2013 9:49:02 PM
The problem with F.E.A.R. is that for most of the game, the parts that are supposed to scare you are completely harmless. Even worse, it's often obvious from the level design as to when exactly you're about to see another sequence. After the first few times, I was going, "Aha, here comes another psychic vision. Ooooh, scary... not."

In Doom 3, the jump scare moments are because of things that can kill you. Which is much more effective in producing an emotional response.
---
NOW PLAYING: Civilization V, Torchlight II, Dota 2
#6x_stevey_xPosted 8/1/2013 9:53:40 PM(edited)
i also agree that doom 3 was far scarier than i anticipated . i think a lot of it was due to the flashlight mechanic of having to switch between the flashlight and weapons. it made things much more suspenseful and tense. this is a big reason i suggest playing the original version and not the bfg version
#7Pen9erSPosted 8/1/2013 9:51:13 PM
Although both games relied a lot on jump scares, I still admire FEAR greatly from a horror genre standpoint. It is rather ambitious in my opinion to take a relatively Asian dominated theme and make it their own. Regardless if the game scared me, their incorporation of the haunting little girl into a very VERY action heavy game (I still think FEAR has some of the best pure guns blazing gameplay out there) is amazing.

Then again, I'm one of those horror fans that don't judge horror on how much it scares me but rather on other factors.
---
The letters on my shirt's the
password.
#8I aM tHe LeGeNdPosted 8/1/2013 9:56:08 PM
Pen9erS posted...
Although both games relied a lot on jump scares, I still admire FEAR greatly from a horror genre standpoint. It is rather ambitious in my opinion to take a relatively Asian dominated theme and make it their own. Regardless if the game scared me, their incorporation of the haunting little girl into a very VERY action heavy game (I still think FEAR has some of the best pure guns blazing gameplay out there) is amazing.

Then again, I'm one of those horror fans that don't judge horror on how much it scares me but rather on other factors.

Completely agreed.
---
AMD Phenom II X4 980@3.7ghz, 12GB RAM DDR3, 1TB HD, Geforce GTX 660ti, 21.5", Win7
Intel Core i3 2350M@2.3ghz, 4GB RAM DDR3, 320GB HD, 15.6", Win7
#9ZukkusPosted 8/1/2013 10:00:54 PM
FEAR is more about being creepy than scary. There's always an unsettling and uncomfortable atmosphere.

Doom 3 on the other hand, is monster closets and other assorted "Boo!" moments.
---
"I just wasted a bullet. Don't waste your life." -Big Boss
#10jake-sfPosted 8/1/2013 10:04:28 PM
Zukkus posted...
FEAR is more about being creepy than scary. There's always an unsettling and uncomfortable atmosphere.

Doom 3 on the other hand, is monster closets and other assorted "Boo!" moments.

...and Doom 3 is unsettling and uncomfortable. It has a pretty damn good atmosphere.

Neither are Silent Hill level of creepiness but still.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/SFJake250?feature=watch
http://sfjake.zxq.net/