This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Doom 3...scary as ****. FEAR.... not scary?

#11ZukkusPosted 8/1/2013 9:09:03 PM
jake-sf posted...
Zukkus posted...
FEAR is more about being creepy than scary. There's always an unsettling and uncomfortable atmosphere.

Doom 3 on the other hand, is monster closets and other assorted "Boo!" moments.

...and Doom 3 is unsettling and uncomfortable. It has a pretty damn good atmosphere.

I guess it must be when I played Doom 3 in 2004 I was 12 years old, and it was scary then, but then I didn't play it for years and finally played it again a few years ago and it was decidedly lacking. You tend to notice patterns in enemy spawns in such a way that you can guess with a high degree of accuracy where enemies are going to spawn from.

Plus they tend to reuse panels breaking off of walls, lights going out/demon lighting, and machines that sound like enemies.
---
"I just wasted a bullet. Don't waste your life." -Big Boss
#12XxTwisted26xXPosted 8/1/2013 9:12:54 PM
Ah has Doom 3 aged well? Thinking of getting it for 5 bucks :3
---
Steam: xxtwisted26xx
"When you play the games of thrones, you win or you die. Theres no middle ground" - Cersei Lannister to Eddard Stark
#13BendoHendo(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2013 9:18:14 PM
XxTwisted26xX posted...

they just released a semi-remake called BFG edition, u can get that.

--
#14poopninjamvc3mkPosted 8/1/2013 10:44:05 PM(edited)
BendoHendo posted...
XxTwisted26xX posted...

they just released a semi-remake called BFG edition, u can get that.

--

Heard BFG edition was ass on pc. It was a great for console though since they only had that butchered version on og xbox.
---
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2063467937.png Deleted my old sig since some mod apparantly got offended because I mentioned Penn State.
#15sfcalimariPosted 8/1/2013 11:20:11 PM
FEAR was mainly only scary when you'd be wandering around a quiet area listening to the creepy ambient music (really good soundtrack) listening for the sound of the next set of enemies. The only real scares were when you'd **** up and stumble into a big pack of enemy soldiers before you were ready, or when you faced the giant enemies for the first time and wondered what the hell you were supposed to do to beat them.

Doom 3 is just boring as hell. It's just a really by the numbers generic fps game and it's pretty surprising Id thought they could get away with making a game with such stale and dated gameplay.
---
We cannot base our information on something mystical. It is something that has to be proved scientifically, that a human being turned into a goat.
#16_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 8/2/2013 12:05:39 AM
I thought FEAR had a more eerie vibe to it than DOOM3. Maybe it is the type of scary that is in the game that just gets to me more than "Hurrrrghhhh Monstaaaaas".
---
I5 760 | GTX 560 Ti | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#17IBKNAWTUPosted 8/2/2013 12:16:12 AM
The differences in horror games are perfectly explained by the Zero Punctuation review of Amnesia.

:50-1:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXuIZstyM7E
---
Gabe: Reality has exiled you, you are no longer bound by its laws. - HoboSpartan
#18x_stevey_xPosted 8/2/2013 12:19:06 AM
_GRIM_FANDANGO_ posted...
I thought FEAR had a more eerie vibe to it than DOOM3. Maybe it is the type of scary that is in the game that just gets to me more than "Hurrrrghhhh Monstaaaaas".

weird i thought it was the opposite. i found doom 3 to have much more eerie vibe and tense atmosphere. though i thought fear was the better shooter, there was nothing scary about it, and i was ultimately disappointed when i first played it expecting a horror game. where as doom 3 i was just expecting a shooter, and got a pretty decent horror game.
#19lkhlkhPosted 8/2/2013 12:25:23 AM
Jump scare are cheap knockoff
---
stop putting me in the same place as you even If you don't like what I love.
#20fire2boxPosted 8/2/2013 12:53:52 AM
Doom 3 is as scary to me as Silent Hill was when I was like 10 or 11. Not for the same reasons but you can't have the flashlight and a gun out and the ammo is rather sparse enough that you need to make shots count.

That said Fallout 3 has it's creepy silent hill like bits.
---
Ivy bridge i5 3570k @3.40GHz | 8 GB DDR3 | single XFX 7870| OCZ 600W Modular. Nvidia, AMD, Intel for life!!
3DS FC: 2208-5221-4039