This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Doom 3...scary as ****. FEAR.... not scary?

#31Fade2black001Posted 8/2/2013 5:41:33 PM
Doom 3 was child's play compared to fear for me.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#32_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 8/4/2013 12:21:32 PM(edited)
BlackMantis posted...
Dead Space beats them both.

I have to agree with this. To me this is the scariest game I played in a long time. I know , I know, it was not scary right? Well, I think it is kind of personal what kind of thing scares you. My girlfriend watches the walking dead in bed before she goes to sleep, but show her anything with ghosts in it and she freaks out.

I am the same. Monsters, mutations, whatever, fine. Clowns? Get them the #$%^ away from me. It is not really rational and I do not think you can make much sense out of it, but that is how it is. One thing that stands out for me is that I find people much more scary than any sort of monster. Maybe that is why I thought FEAR was scary. Hell, those sections in Mirror's Edge where those soldiers are following you on foot are somehow scarier than anything DOOM ever threw at me.
---
I5 760 | GTX 560 Ti | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#33Fade2black001Posted 8/4/2013 5:50:13 PM
_GRIM_FANDANGO_ posted...
BlackMantis posted...

I have to agree with this. To me this is the scariest game I played in a long time. I know , I know, it was not scary right? Well, I think it is kind of personal what kind of thing scares you. My girlfriend watches the walking dead in bed before she goes to sleep, but show her anything with ghosts in it and she freaks out.

I am the same. Monsters, mutations, whatever, fine. Clowns? Get them the #$%^ away from me. It is not really rational and I do not think you can make much sense out of it, but that is how it is. One thing that stands out for me is that I find people much more scary than any sort of monster. Maybe that is why I thought FEAR was scary. Hell, those sections in Mirror's Edge where those soldiers are following you on foot are somehow scarier than anything DOOM ever threw at me.

Are you serious?!? Deadspace is too predictable. You always know when something is going jump out from somewhere. Knowing this make the game not scary at all. I could predict that something was coming sooner or later and was already prepared for it. So yeah deadspace is just as scary as as goldfish.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#34Golden_GonadsPosted 8/4/2013 6:11:46 PM
Doom 3 I didn't find scary at all. In fact, I found it incredibly dull, with the only surprises being due to the lack of lighting. I can only assume that with the BFG have a light attached to your character, even those shocks are now gone.

That said, F.E.A.R. wasn't much better, especially as it tells you (By static over the radio) that there a spooky event about to happen. The one exception to that though is pretty early on - You're coming up on a ladder going down, static plays, start the ladder, little girl appears as you turn around. Highly predictable... Get to the bottom of the ladder and GYAGHHHH! 'Spirit' standing right there... It did however do atmosphere incredibly well.
#35CardigansFanPosted 8/4/2013 6:15:07 PM
Fade2black001 posted...
Are you serious?!? Deadspace is too predictable. You always know when something is going jump out from somewhere. Knowing this make the game not scary at all. I could predict that something was coming sooner or later and was already prepared for it. So yeah deadspace is just as scary as as goldfish.

This lol. Dead Space 1 was a little tense at times (from the creepy atmosphere rather than impending enemies), but very predictable.
---
3570k | GTX670 FTW | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD
S4 Mini * Sharp Actius MM20 * AKA Magus77
#36_LegendaryPunk_Posted 8/4/2013 7:45:24 PM
I think a lot of the time people ruin horror games by going in thinking something along the lines of "I'm not going to let this game scare me."

Granted, sometimes a bad game will do this for you. Others times though people try too hard to break the fourth wall and end up ruining the experience by themselves.
---
"But though you may find this slightly macabre,
We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job."
#37_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 8/4/2013 11:52:51 PM(edited)
Fade2black001 posted...
_GRIM_FANDANGO_ posted...
BlackMantis posted...

Gamefaqs is predictable.
---
I5 760 | GTX 560 Ti | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#38TheAnalogKid06Posted 8/5/2013 12:49:28 AM
BlackMantis posted...

Amnesia beats all of these.
---
GT: TheAnalogKid06
Can't wait to play: Batman: AO, Watch Dogs, GTA V, Killer is Dead, Dark Souls 2, A Link to the Past 2, MGS V, Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs.
#39spardasiegPosted 8/5/2013 1:47:33 AM
I made the mistake of getting BFG edition, the gun effects are terrible, I cant stand the sound in this game, also looks pretty bad compared to regular doom 3 modded.
---
My Photography and such: http://insidemyeyes.aminus3.com/ (I take pictures of unsuspecting people and inanimate objects for funsies mostly.)
#40ConkerPosted 8/5/2013 2:53:47 AM
I haven't played the Manhunt games at all, but I'll be honest...watching the uncencored executions on youtube for Manhunt 2 the other day sent some chills down my spine. That game looks creepy as f***. Not "jump out moment" scary, but scary on a mental level and disturbing, or "horrific" which is what I think more of deserving as a horror title than just startle me games.

It's the difference between your friend hiding behind a door and jumping out going "boo" and (imaging this one) if you were walking down a back ally with a serial killer behind you that was going to torture and murder you.

With that said, I played Doom 3 as a freshman in college, and didn't find it scary at all. Yet certain other games get me tense as f*** that aren't even made to be that scary.
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!