This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it the end of subscription-based MMOs? [Titan] [Blizzard]

#1badboyPosted 8/1/2013 11:42:02 PM
The next MMO from Blizzard is unlikely to be subscription-based.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/01/blizzards-titan-unlikely-to-be-subscription-based-mmo

Reminder: There are only 15 MMOs that are still subscription-based. The rest were shut down or went free-to-play.

http://leviathyn.com/games/mmorpg/2013/05/16/there-are-only-15-subscription-mmos-left
#2BDSMPosted 8/1/2013 11:44:47 PM
Actually, Order & Chaos is subscription free now too. (they have it listed as one of the sub based MMO's)

Unless they reverted for some weird reason.
---
Games I've played where you have non-consensual sex with your step-sister while half drowning her in a kitchen sink: 1
#3Zmapper33Posted 8/1/2013 11:51:47 PM
EverQuest Next is REVEALED tomorrow! It is free to play and is going to blow every other MMO away!
#4IBKNAWTUPosted 8/1/2013 11:53:38 PM
I would MUCH rather pay for subscription than allow my enemies to get the advantage over me with microtransactions.
---
Gabe: Reality has exiled you, you are no longer bound by its laws. - HoboSpartan
#5Devil_wings00Posted 8/2/2013 12:29:47 AM
Blizzard knows that WoW pretty much IS the subscription market. Even back when it was more competitive in the subscription sphere I remember reading an article that said 60% of all MMO subscriptions were WoW accounts (this was like 2008/2009). I can't even imagine how high that number it is now with so few sub MMO's left, even with WoW's numbers dropping. If they put out another game with the same model they would probably have a hard time getting the WoW community to pay two separate subscriptions and everyone else would scoff at the idea of a sub based MMO in 2013. So ya they really have no choice since the majority of people still willing to pay a sub for an MMO are already playing another one of their games.
---
3570k @ 1.260v - 4.6Ghz, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, Intel 335 SSD (boot).
#6AnatomyHorrorPosted 8/2/2013 12:39:32 AM
Zmapper33 posted...
EverQuest Next is REVEALED tomorrow! It is free to play and is going to blow every other MMO away!

Never played EQ but I'm looking forward to the reveal. People have talked it up like it's going to be the second coming of MMO's. And also I've heard FFA PVP which makes me giddy.
#7GreenMage7Posted 8/2/2013 12:41:15 AM(edited)
There are still a ton of subscription-based MMOs. It's just that most of them now offer unlimited-limited free trials, if you catch my drift. They call these unlimited-limited free trials free to play or freemium. Go download SWTOR and try to tell me that isn't a subscription-based MMO with a 50 level free trial or whatever it is now.

Edit: Well, maybe you shouldn't download SWTOR. I don't think I'm a mean enough person to recommend that. Someone might actually do it and I'd feel bad.
#8rainedownPosted 8/2/2013 12:55:14 AM
You know what's constantly amazed me? Every mmo is faltering and becoming free to play...but Gemstone IV, an old MUD I used to play, still has subscriptions...that *start* at $15 and climb higher lol.

Every couple years I check up on it, and I'm always amazed by it just being around still, and charging to boot. It just has that really loyal base, and a more user-oriented content system than any graphical MMOs can offer, I guess.

I mean, let's face it: when endgame is constantly defined by running the same dungeons or raids then every MMO starts bleeding customers.
#9KamenRiderBladePosted 8/2/2013 1:11:18 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massively_multiplayer_online_role-playing_games

Not many MMO's are subscription based anymore.

It's interesting to see how things have changed.

Yet EVE Online has managed to be a subscription model this whole time without shifting to a Free to Play or Freemium model
---
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'
#10Orestes417Posted 8/2/2013 1:36:57 AM
EVE also predates WoW, has radically different expectations of budget vs profitability and caters deliberately to a small, hardcore fan base. WoW was a fluke, it may never happen again and even Blizzard knows it. If you want to break the 500k to 2 million mark long term the only sane choice is free to play. It's literally the only way you're getting people involved long enough to commit to your game.

And no, free to play doesn't mean pay to win. there's plenty of games out there that do the model incredibly well. Rift, the Turbine MMOs, GW2 even though it's not actually free to play up front.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.