This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it the end of subscription-based MMOs? [Titan] [Blizzard]

#11Golden_GonadsPosted 8/2/2013 1:51:05 AM
KamenRiderBlade posted...

Yet EVE Online has managed to be a subscription model this whole time without shifting to a Free to Play or Freemium model

That's partly because once your successful enough in the game, you can use the ingame currency to pay your sub. So in that way, It was in fact one of the first games to go free-to-play.

That and many people who play that game are fanatical.
#12happyscrub1Posted 8/2/2013 3:11:10 AM
Its because MMOs were a fad and our video game culture has changed.

1. Video gamers are getting cheaper and cheaper. They want everything for free now a days. People who are in their late 20's and early 30's paid a lot more for video games and didn't complain. This new generation wants free MMOs and only buy games during steam sales.

2. MMOs can burn you out and they can become like a second job. For instance, when I started to play WoW during BC, it was a giant grind fest to get to lvl cap. Then a grind fest to get geared. Then you had to find a good guild. And ever after that, it could take you weeks to progress thru a raid.

MMOs were new and exciting then, so it was worth it. Now a lot of those same people don't want to go thru all that again. That's why a lot of these new MMOs are cutting back on the grinding. But cutting back on the grinding makes the games more easy to run thru which makes people get bored.
---
http://happyscrub.com/tierlist.jpg
#13ThePonyColliePosted 8/2/2013 3:30:54 AM
P2P is stupid. It forces one to keep playing to justify his money. The best model is B2P like GW2.
---
"Exclusives are a peasant concept to begin with, used to justify the purchase of inferior hardware." DarkZV2Beta
#14FeatherwindPosted 8/2/2013 3:40:29 AM
I don't see what is wrong with the subscription based model. The only subscription based game I've played was WoW but in my opinion it worked out really well. Subscription based model doesn't really encourage the devs doing anything stupid/"irrational". The one-time upfront payment seems to encourage front-loaded shorter games and hype & marketing but still even that is better than microtransactions. I can only imagine what the game would have been like if it had a cash shop instead... I have literally never played a game with microtransactions that worked well.
#15dermoratrakenPosted 8/2/2013 3:56:39 AM
I find it hilarious that the entertainment industry has campaigned for so long on the evils of free/cheap stuff. While some game companies were still punishing customers with ridiculous DRM, others started giving away their games for free! Guess who wins out in the end.

More on point, the market share grab will probably cause a bit of a crash, but i don't see f2p as a model failing. Time and again i've been amazed at how willingly people will part with their money for a simple cosmetic item. I figure as the current generation of gamers ages, their disposable income will rise, and f2p will sustain itself.
#16reincarnator07Posted 8/2/2013 4:04:06 AM
Golden_Gonads posted...
KamenRiderBlade posted...

Yet EVE Online has managed to be a subscription model this whole time without shifting to a Free to Play or Freemium model

That's partly because once your successful enough in the game, you can use the ingame currency to pay your sub. So in that way, It was in fact one of the first games to go free-to-play.

That and many people who play that game are fanatical.

In addition, you can also buy in game currency legally with real money.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#17UltraCookiePosted 8/2/2013 4:07:53 AM(edited)
In May 2013, the development process was rebooted, tentatively delaying the release until 2016.[1]

With the inevitable delays on top of that, I wonder if I'll even still like videogames by the time this is released. I'm already growing tired of gaming.
#18urtvPosted 8/2/2013 4:48:23 AM
IBKNAWTU posted...
I would MUCH rather pay for subscription than allow my enemies to get the advantage over me with microtransactions.
#19FeatherwindPosted 8/2/2013 5:23:21 AM
Now that I think of it WoW is not the only subscription based game I've played since I've also played Runescape. Still it worked well in RS too and again cash shop would have been really bad in that game.
#20happyscrub1Posted 8/2/2013 7:00:10 AM
City of Heroes was sub based and lasted for years until the EVIL NCSOFT came in.
---
http://happyscrub.com/tierlist.jpg