This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it the end of subscription-based MMOs? [Titan] [Blizzard]

#21lionheart5656Posted 8/2/2013 8:03:11 AM
IBKNAWTU posted...
I would MUCH rather pay for subscription than allow my enemies to get the advantage over me with microtransactions.

That's a minority view.

I have no interest in paying for a full priced game only to have to pay for that game again every month.

I only pay once.

I've held that view since MMOs were first introduced.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#22SinisterSlayPosted 8/2/2013 8:05:48 AM(edited)
I'm glad pay to play is dying off.
That kept me from trying a lot of MMORPG's.

The free trial of Eve isn't long enough to get into the game properly, I think I managed 2 hours before it expired.

if MMO's want a subscription, they need to seriously step up their games. If there is even 1 quest of "Kill x and collect y of z" then the game is a failure. Every quest should be unique. And there should always be new ones being made because that's what the subscription is for.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#23bkkorpsPosted 8/2/2013 8:05:31 AM
I have only really played wow, rift (at release), and GW2, but I have played other non-mmo F2P games with pay to win items. I think the B2P model works best, as long as they handle the cash shop correctly like GW2 has done.

with a subscription, I feel obligated to play more to get my monies worth, and when I have to travel for work 1-2 weeks at a time, it really sucks. With GW2, I can just pop back into the game at any time, and the only thing that I miss out on is misc monthly events. You dont buy power from the cash shop, just cosmetics which have no appeal to me.

plus, the B2P vs F2P model encourages people to be less of an ass hat. in F2P games, you can always just make a new account, where if you get banned in a B2P game you would need to repurchase.
---
Note to self: Gfaqs mods do not appreciate jokes about pedophiles. who would have guessed?
#24xanthan1Posted 8/2/2013 9:46:37 AM
I'm pretty sure some MMOs still have optional monthly fees. Like The Secret World, subscribing(or buying a lifetime subscription) gets you a special item every month, an hour of double EXP a day, 1200 Funcom points a month(enough for a mission pack or whatever else is on the cash shop, mostly cosmetics), a 10% cash shop discount, and I think something else.

It's less the end of subscriptions and more the end of subscriptions being needed to play at all and instead just proving a pretty nice bonus.
#25Orestes417Posted 8/2/2013 9:50:20 AM
Key word being optional
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#26levelxplanePosted 8/2/2013 9:53:38 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]