This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

if I am beyond stupid regarding pc

#1Hiei_the_SternPosted 8/2/2013 12:15:48 AM
and I wanted to make my pc cooler but dunno how to make internal modifications, can I simply get a small fan and have it blow at the pc from the outside? does that work?

my x51 is making ridiculously loud airplane turbine engine noise with its fan, and the people I've called told me it's fine, it's simply because the inside is really hot.
---
FFXIV! I have returned!
Boku wa Imouto ni Koi wo Suru
#2Hiei_the_Stern(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2013 12:56:22 AM
:3
---
FFXIV! I have returned!
#3ArnzillazorPosted 8/2/2013 1:02:40 AM
That will not be very efficient, no.

There are a lot of people on this board than can attempt to walk you through an installation, as well as several tutorials and videos available online. Start with a better fan for your CPU, then get some for your case.

What kind of case do you have?
#4Hiei_the_Stern(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2013 1:08:36 AM
it's Dell's Alienware X51 desktop. was quite happy when I bought it 4 months ago but now really wishes I'd learn to build my own.

I also heard the alienware x51 isn't too customizable either..
---
FFXIV! I have returned!
#5Hiei_the_Stern(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2013 1:13:04 AM
What if I aim the fan at the holes where the inner fans suck cold air from?
---
FFXIV! I have returned!
#6BDSMPosted 8/2/2013 1:51:15 AM
Do you know what kind of temps you are running at?

I'm not familiar with what kind of software Alienware ships with, but you could test it under load (like running a modern game) with 3rd part monitoring software?

Loud doesn't always = running hot.

And "running hot" doesn't always = catastrophically dangerous.
---
Games I've played where you have non-consensual sex with your step-sister while half drowning her in a kitchen sink: 1
#7Hiei_the_Stern(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2013 3:06:52 AM
BDSM posted...

I'm not familiar with what kind of software Alienware ships with, but you could test it under load (like running a modern game) with 3rd part monitoring software?

I'm not sure, I'll test it when I get back home. What 3rd party software do you recommend?
---
FFXIV! I have returned!
#8BDSMPosted 8/2/2013 4:16:15 AM
Hiei_the_Stern posted...
BDSM posted...

I'm not sure, I'll test it when I get back home. What 3rd party software do you recommend?

Open Hardware Monitor.

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

Nice mix of simple and robust.
---
Games I've played where you have non-consensual sex with your step-sister while half drowning her in a kitchen sink: 1
#9Hiei_the_Stern(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2013 7:23:33 AM
I did some googling and used Speedfan to configure and control my fan speed a little. The fan sound is a little more tolerable now after a game bench mark run, but still significantly loud, I'm not sure if I'll ever have a solution for it, but hey, if my PC doesn't explode, then all is well.

I will now try gaming Witcher 2 a little bit, fool around for awhile, and tell you what the temperature is, and if its acceptable.
---
FFXIV! I have returned!
#10AnatomyHorrorPosted 8/2/2013 7:28:36 AM
Is there any way you can open the case up? Get some canned air or something and dust it out.