This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it better for me to upgrade now or just wait till the new consoles release?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is it better for me to upgrade now or just wait till the new consoles release?
2 years ago#1
I'm torn at the moment. My current setup is a little over 3 years old and it's starting to struggle with the latest games and will undoubtedly struggle with the games releasing this holiday season.

- i7 930 (1st gen)
- GTX 470 SLI

I never once was tempted by the 600 series but I will admit that the 700 series intrigues me and Microcenter has the GTX 770 for $400 which sounds very enticing.

The question or questions rather, are:

- Should I go ahead and upgrade to the 770?
- Will I have to upgrade my CPU and MB to take full advantage ? (I'd rather not)

- Should I just wait till the new consoles release, buy one and enjoy it for a year till the 800 or 900 series releases and then upgrade everything?

What would you do?
2 years ago#2
If I were you, I would buy a GAMING RIG (A laptop)with a few games like Battlefield 4 and CoD ghosts. I would Not buy a POS console! OKAY!?

BYE and you're welcome.
---
IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE IN JESUS CHRIST AND YOU ARE 100% SURE AND PROUD ABOUT IT, PUT THIS IN YOUR SIG! BATTLEFIELD 4 PATRIOT
2 years ago#3
It depends on if you plan on playing the newer games. I have a 6770 and am content on it's performance. I don't really play too many new games though.
---
Are we not men?
2 years ago#4
@Ghost,

What kind of nonsense is that? I actually do have a decent laptop Lenovo Y580 but it's my developer machine. I don't game on it.

My questions are about my Desktop.

Also I was wondering, if I was to upgrade my GPU today, would 2 GTX 760's be better than a single GTX 770? Microcenter has the 760 at $269 so going SLI would cost a little over $500.

Would that be better than single 770? Would that be too much for my CPU?
2 years ago#5
ghostwarrior79 posted...
If I were you, I would buy a GAMING RIG (A laptop)with a few games like Battlefield 4 and CoD ghosts. I would Not buy a POS console! OKAY!?

BYE and you're welcome.

i lol'd.
2 years ago#6
ghostwarrior79 posted...

BYE and you're welcome.

A gaming PC is better than a similarly priced laptop. Since TC wasn't asking for a laptop, why would you recommend it?

@TC I'd go with a 770. Dual 760s are better, but you run into the issues with SLI, and you can't just add in another one later on. In addition, there is very little a 770 can't max out. In the few games it can't, there will be an issue with your processor too.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
2 years ago#7
No need to change your CPU/mobo just get a new gfx card(either a GTX 760/ HD7950 or higher) and make sure your cpu is running at a decent clock, and get 8GB RAM.
2 years ago#8
fearevil19 posted...
No need to change your CPU/mobo just get a new gfx card(either a GTX 760/ HD7950 or higher) and make sure your cpu is running at a decent clock, and get 8GB RAM.

Why type "gfx"? Are you really in too much of a rush to type "Graphics"?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is it better for me to upgrade now or just wait till the new consoles release?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived