This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it better for me to upgrade now or just wait till the new consoles release?

#1TheWayOfTheGunPosted 8/2/2013 4:46:05 AM
I'm torn at the moment. My current setup is a little over 3 years old and it's starting to struggle with the latest games and will undoubtedly struggle with the games releasing this holiday season.

- i7 930 (1st gen)
- GTX 470 SLI

I never once was tempted by the 600 series but I will admit that the 700 series intrigues me and Microcenter has the GTX 770 for $400 which sounds very enticing.

The question or questions rather, are:

- Should I go ahead and upgrade to the 770?
- Will I have to upgrade my CPU and MB to take full advantage ? (I'd rather not)

- Should I just wait till the new consoles release, buy one and enjoy it for a year till the 800 or 900 series releases and then upgrade everything?

What would you do?
#2ghostwarrior79Posted 8/2/2013 5:04:56 AM
If I were you, I would buy a GAMING RIG (A laptop)with a few games like Battlefield 4 and CoD ghosts. I would Not buy a POS console! OKAY!?

BYE and you're welcome.
---
IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE IN JESUS CHRIST AND YOU ARE 100% SURE AND PROUD ABOUT IT, PUT THIS IN YOUR SIG! BATTLEFIELD 4 PATRIOT
#3snesmaster40Posted 8/2/2013 5:09:05 AM
It depends on if you plan on playing the newer games. I have a 6770 and am content on it's performance. I don't really play too many new games though.
---
Are we not men?
#4TheWayOfTheGun(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2013 5:17:13 AM(edited)
@Ghost,

What kind of nonsense is that? I actually do have a decent laptop Lenovo Y580 but it's my developer machine. I don't game on it.

My questions are about my Desktop.

Also I was wondering, if I was to upgrade my GPU today, would 2 GTX 760's be better than a single GTX 770? Microcenter has the 760 at $269 so going SLI would cost a little over $500.

Would that be better than single 770? Would that be too much for my CPU?
#5ViperEO2Posted 8/2/2013 6:45:57 AM
ghostwarrior79 posted...
If I were you, I would buy a GAMING RIG (A laptop)with a few games like Battlefield 4 and CoD ghosts. I would Not buy a POS console! OKAY!?

BYE and you're welcome.

i lol'd.
#6reincarnator07Posted 8/2/2013 7:26:38 AM
ghostwarrior79 posted...

BYE and you're welcome.

A gaming PC is better than a similarly priced laptop. Since TC wasn't asking for a laptop, why would you recommend it?

@TC I'd go with a 770. Dual 760s are better, but you run into the issues with SLI, and you can't just add in another one later on. In addition, there is very little a 770 can't max out. In the few games it can't, there will be an issue with your processor too.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#7fearevil19Posted 8/2/2013 7:41:51 AM
No need to change your CPU/mobo just get a new gfx card(either a GTX 760/ HD7950 or higher) and make sure your cpu is running at a decent clock, and get 8GB RAM.
#8Mystical_NEETPosted 8/2/2013 7:44:21 AM
fearevil19 posted...
No need to change your CPU/mobo just get a new gfx card(either a GTX 760/ HD7950 or higher) and make sure your cpu is running at a decent clock, and get 8GB RAM.

Why type "gfx"? Are you really in too much of a rush to type "Graphics"?