This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Advantages of higher resolution displays on iOS or Android devices?

#1GabrezuPosted 8/2/2013 6:14:31 AM
I have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that there are so many Android and iOS devices wtih resolutions higher than say 720p. I mean for a Windows machine where I have to do some real work, a higher resolution is a must to me because there are lots of things from different programs I need to be displayed at the same time to increase productivity. For an Android or iOS tablet, sure the sharper screen is nice, but since you can't display two programs at the same time (or can you?) and you usually don't need to multitasking for a content consumption device, how come we are seen this trend where the resolution gets higher and higher? Perhaps there is a use for higher resolutions that I haven't thought of.
#2PhilOnDezPosted 8/2/2013 6:28:05 AM
Going from an iPhone 3GS to a 4S was a massive difference in how good everything looked, not sure how big a jump the 1080p screen of the 5 is from the 4.

Not sure about android as a whole, but the Galaxy S4 and Note 2 can multi-app, either split screen or with a translucent overlay.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#3PanopictonguyPosted 8/2/2013 6:30:11 AM
android can run 2 programs at once. This however is irrelevant for resolution. I assume the HD displays only pay a role in watching movies and gaming.

I have no idea how good 1080p on a 6" screen is compared to a 50" screen.
---
Oh, you thought they made this game for you? You clearly bought the wrong game.
#4XjphPosted 8/2/2013 6:54:03 AM
The nature of windows to not scale its UI to match the screen dpi makes many people, including the tc, equate high resolutions with having more space to work in. On an Android or iOS device, which does scale, it's a matter of clarity, not workspace.

Text is amazing on high dpi screens. Reading is so much nicer at 300+ dpi.
---
"Much as a spiders web, it began with a single thread." - Cilym
My Library - http://xjph.net/images/Library.jpg
#5BowsaaPosted 8/2/2013 7:10:44 AM
PhilOnDez posted...
Going from an iPhone 3GS to a 4S was a massive difference in how good everything looked, not sure how big a jump the 1080p screen of the 5 is from the 4.

The 5 only has a 1136x640 screen.
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
#6Gabrezu(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2013 10:45:08 AM
So, it's really about how sharp it looks. Thanks all.