This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Installing Windows 8 on a new SSD

#1myjackie128Posted 8/2/2013 10:52:34 AM
I purchased a Lenovo Y510p recently with Windows 8 pre-installed along with a Samsung 840 Pro 128gb ssd. I'm kind of new at this so I'm wondering if I just remove the HDD and replace it with the ssd? Also, how would I go about installing windows 8 onto my new SSD if it's a pre-installed version? Thanks in advance.
#2PigfartsPosted 8/2/2013 11:00:49 AM
According to the newegg how to build a PC this was one of the questions. He said you could transfer the OP from the Hard to the SSD, but he does not recommend it and a clean install is best.

Even if it was preloaded on your PC you should still have the windows KEY somewhere on your computer like a sticker.

Someone else on this forum said that pre install windows are tied to the motherboard not the hard drive, so go to the MS website, download and burn a boot disk, remove HDD pop in a SSD, then see if it works. If it doesnt you still have everything on the HDD and you should be safe.

Keep in mind I know very little about computers ^_^
---
If you don't like the smell of pigfarts, stay out of the pigpen.
#3Black_King945Posted 8/2/2013 11:17:55 AM
No offense pigfarts but it might be best to not say anything at all if you don't know how to help.

Before you remove the hard drive, create a recovery USB drive, detailed at this link.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=HT076024

Then use this guide, page 38 specifically, to remove the HDD and install your new SSD.

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_y400y500_hmm_1st_edition_sep_2012_english.pdf

The last few steps of the recovery media guide detail how to boot into the USB key and reinstall windows to the SSD.
---
i7 3770K | Asus Maximus V Gene | 16GB Gskill | Asus 660ti | Seasonic 500W
#4myjackie128(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 1:13:16 AM
I did exactly everything stated in the instructions, but it always states that there was a problem restarting my laptop.