This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Installing Windows 8 on a new SSD

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Installing Windows 8 on a new SSD

User Info: myjackie128

myjackie128
3 years ago#1
I purchased a Lenovo Y510p recently with Windows 8 pre-installed along with a Samsung 840 Pro 128gb ssd. I'm kind of new at this so I'm wondering if I just remove the HDD and replace it with the ssd? Also, how would I go about installing windows 8 onto my new SSD if it's a pre-installed version? Thanks in advance.

User Info: Pigfarts

Pigfarts
3 years ago#2
According to the newegg how to build a PC this was one of the questions. He said you could transfer the OP from the Hard to the SSD, but he does not recommend it and a clean install is best.

Even if it was preloaded on your PC you should still have the windows KEY somewhere on your computer like a sticker.

Someone else on this forum said that pre install windows are tied to the motherboard not the hard drive, so go to the MS website, download and burn a boot disk, remove HDD pop in a SSD, then see if it works. If it doesnt you still have everything on the HDD and you should be safe.

Keep in mind I know very little about computers ^_^
If you don't like the smell of pigfarts, stay out of the pigpen.

User Info: Black_King945

Black_King945
3 years ago#3
No offense pigfarts but it might be best to not say anything at all if you don't know how to help.

Before you remove the hard drive, create a recovery USB drive, detailed at this link.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=HT076024

Then use this guide, page 38 specifically, to remove the HDD and install your new SSD.

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_y400y500_hmm_1st_edition_sep_2012_english.pdf

The last few steps of the recovery media guide detail how to boot into the USB key and reinstall windows to the SSD.
i7 3770K | Asus Maximus V Gene | 16GB Gskill | Asus 660ti | Seasonic 500W

User Info: myjackie128

myjackie128
3 years ago#4
I did exactly everything stated in the instructions, but it always states that there was a problem restarting my laptop.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Installing Windows 8 on a new SSD

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived