This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

4770k or wait for the 4820k?

#11Snuckie7Posted 8/2/2013 7:12:30 PM
The 4280K is rumored to be cheaper than the 4770K though.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#12Fade2black001Posted 8/2/2013 7:21:48 PM
Stick with 3rd gen Haswell is not worth it.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#13urtvPosted 8/2/2013 7:39:29 PM
4820k is rumored to be cheaper and since its soldered,its going to oc higher
#14Nick_Saban(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2013 9:37:57 PM
TheC0ndemnedOne posted...
Nick_Saban posted...
Gaming, Microsoft Office, watching movies, may even try to livestream some games online.

I'd go with the 4770K or even the 4670K, unless you plan on having the machine for a really long time. Spend the money you'd save on a better graphics card and/or peripherals & streaming equipment (I hate it when people who stream have bad mics and/or noisy keyboards), etc.

What I want to do is build a PC first and play wait and see on the GPU(I know I would have to buy a a dedicated GPU for the 4820K, I'd probably get one of those $20 GPUs I've seen on pcpartpicker), If AMD's next offering offers a better price to performance, I'll go with them, otherwise, I'll probably get an EVGA GTX770 with the new cooling design and then save up for a second one later.

As for the i5, I'm sure it's fine, but I've heard all this stuff about how newer games are supporting more and more cores, I know I've seen some benchmarks on youtube where the FX8350 beat the i5 3570k in some newer games. If hyperthreading is going to make a difference in 2 years, I want to have it.
---
Fat people in small amounts of clothing always makes me giggle.-SvenGeorgeson
Then you must have loads of fun looking in a mirror.-LegendaryElite
#15Nick_Saban(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 1:52:29 PM
bump
---
#16daemon_danPosted 8/3/2013 1:56:55 PM
Nick_Saban posted...
TheC0ndemnedOne posted...
Nick_Saban posted...
Gaming, Microsoft Office, watching movies, may even try to livestream some games online.

I'd go with the 4770K or even the 4670K, unless you plan on having the machine for a really long time. Spend the money you'd save on a better graphics card and/or peripherals & streaming equipment (I hate it when people who stream have bad mics and/or noisy keyboards), etc.

What I want to do is build a PC first and play wait and see on the GPU(I know I would have to buy a a dedicated GPU for the 4820K, I'd probably get one of those $20 GPUs I've seen on pcpartpicker), If AMD's next offering offers a better price to performance, I'll go with them, otherwise, I'll probably get an EVGA GTX770 with the new cooling design and then save up for a second one later.

As for the i5, I'm sure it's fine, but I've heard all this stuff about how newer games are supporting more and more cores, I know I've seen some benchmarks on youtube where the FX8350 beat the i5 3570k in some newer games. If hyperthreading is going to make a difference in 2 years, I want to have it.

Yeah, people who think that 2 cores are enough for gaming aren't thinking in the coming year or two. And while yeah, you could upgrade when they start using more cores, getting an i7 now would cut out the middle man and your rig will last for most if not all of this console generation. Not maxing things, of course, but still. Also, if you want to go Nvidia, the only worthwhile choice is the 780, otherwise get an AMD 7950 or 7970, or just wait for the new cards (gonna be a bit of a wait on that one. why not just save up your money till you CAN get the card as well? Some of the other parts may see a minor drop by then.)
---
"Nowhere is longer safe. The earth MOVES under our feet. The great world tree, Yggdrasil, trembles to it's roots."
#17Nick_Saban(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 2:45:09 PM
daemon_dan posted...

Yeah, people who think that 2 cores are enough for gaming aren't thinking in the coming year or two. And while yeah, you could upgrade when they start using more cores, getting an i7 now would cut out the middle man and your rig will last for most if not all of this console generation. Not maxing things, of course, but still. Also, if you want to go Nvidia, the only worthwhile choice is the 780, otherwise get an AMD 7950 or 7970, or just wait for the new cards (gonna be a bit of a wait on that one. why not just save up your money till you CAN get the card as well? Some of the other parts may see a minor drop by then.)

I read somewhere that AMD 9000 series cards will come out this fall to coincide with the release of BF4 which will be optimized for AMD cards. Those are the ones I want to wait on.

As for why I dont want to wait, I currently use a 3.2 GHZ Pentium D dual core processor, Windows XP, Dell Optiplex GX620.
---
#18daemon_danPosted 8/3/2013 2:49:49 PM
Nick_Saban posted...
daemon_dan posted...

I read somewhere that AMD 9000 series cards will come out this fall to coincide with the release of BF4 which will be optimized for AMD cards. Those are the ones I want to wait on.

As for why I dont want to wait, I currently use a 3.2 GHZ Pentium D dual core processor, Windows XP, Dell Optiplex GX620.

Well, building a computer with a 20 dollar graphics card REALLY isn't gonna make much of a difference over what you already have when it comes to gaming. However, I can understand if you just want something that will run better than that thing for now. The 9000 series is definitely something to watch, but so is the next batch of cards Nvidia will release as a response. If the trend follows the same pattern as it has, the 880 by Nvidia will just wreck shop.
---
"Nowhere is longer safe. The earth MOVES under our feet. The great world tree, Yggdrasil, trembles to it's roots."
#19Nick_Saban(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 2:55:06 PM
daemon_dan posted...
Nick_Saban posted...
daemon_dan posted...

Well, building a computer with a 20 dollar graphics card REALLY isn't gonna make much of a difference over what you already have when it comes to gaming. However, I can understand if you just want something that will run better than that thing for now. The 9000 series is definitely something to watch, but so is the next batch of cards Nvidia will release as a response. If the trend follows the same pattern as it has, the 880 by Nvidia will just wreck shop.

Yeah, I know. It would just be a placeholder until I can see if AMD's offering is a better deal than Nvidia's. Of course, I wouldn't need it if I went with the 4770.
---
#20DerPancakePosted 8/3/2013 2:55:42 PM
Nick_Saban posted...
daemon_dan posted...

Wait is DICE giving the finger to NVIDIA?!
---
i7-4770k | EVGA GeForce GTX770 2GB | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM
Samsung 840 120GB SSD | CM Storm Enforcer | Corsair TX 750 Watt