This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

4770k or wait for the 4820k?

#21daemon_danPosted 8/3/2013 2:57:44 PM
DerPancake posted...
Nick_Saban posted...
daemon_dan posted...

Yeah, people who think that 2 cores are enough for gaming aren't thinking in the coming year or two. And while yeah, you could upgrade when they start using more cores, getting an i7 now would cut out the middle man and your rig will last for most if not all of this console generation. Not maxing things, of course, but still. Also, if you want to go Nvidia, the only worthwhile choice is the 780, otherwise get an AMD 7950 or 7970, or just wait for the new cards (gonna be a bit of a wait on that one. why not just save up your money till you CAN get the card as well? Some of the other parts may see a minor drop by then.)

I read somewhere that AMD 9000 series cards will come out this fall to coincide with the release of BF4 which will be optimized for AMD cards. Those are the ones I want to wait on.

As for why I dont want to wait, I currently use a 3.2 GHZ Pentium D dual core processor, Windows XP, Dell Optiplex GX620.

Wait is DICE giving the finger to NVIDIA?!

Uh... no? It's not like the game won't work on Nvidia hardware. The game will just be optimized for AMD. Newer drivers will likely almost negate that boost though.
---
"Nowhere is longer safe. The earth MOVES under our feet. The great world tree, Yggdrasil, trembles to it's roots."
#22Snuckie7Posted 8/3/2013 2:58:09 PM
DerPancake posted...
Nick_Saban posted...
daemon_dan posted...

Yeah, people who think that 2 cores are enough for gaming aren't thinking in the coming year or two. And while yeah, you could upgrade when they start using more cores, getting an i7 now would cut out the middle man and your rig will last for most if not all of this console generation. Not maxing things, of course, but still. Also, if you want to go Nvidia, the only worthwhile choice is the 780, otherwise get an AMD 7950 or 7970, or just wait for the new cards (gonna be a bit of a wait on that one. why not just save up your money till you CAN get the card as well? Some of the other parts may see a minor drop by then.)

I read somewhere that AMD 9000 series cards will come out this fall to coincide with the release of BF4 which will be optimized for AMD cards. Those are the ones I want to wait on.

As for why I dont want to wait, I currently use a 3.2 GHZ Pentium D dual core processor, Windows XP, Dell Optiplex GX620.

Wait is DICE giving the finger to NVIDIA?!

AMD sponsored game yo.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#23DerPancakePosted 8/3/2013 2:58:45 PM
daemon_dan posted...

Uh... no? It's not like the game won't work on Nvidia hardware. The game will just be optimized for AMD. Newer drivers will likely almost negate that boost though.

BF3 was optimized for NVIDIA, so I expected BF4 to be the same from the start.
---
i7-4770k | EVGA GeForce GTX770 2GB | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM
Samsung 840 120GB SSD | CM Storm Enforcer | Corsair TX 750 Watt
#24daemon_danPosted 8/3/2013 3:00:11 PM
DerPancake posted...
daemon_dan posted...

Are you new to PC gaming? Game companies optimize for different hardware all the time. Even from one entry in the series to the next. It all depends on what features they want to implement and what's a better fit for the game.
---
"Nowhere is longer safe. The earth MOVES under our feet. The great world tree, Yggdrasil, trembles to it's roots."
#25DerPancakePosted 8/3/2013 3:03:07 PM(edited)
daemon_dan posted...
DerPancake posted...
daemon_dan posted...

Are you new to PC gaming? Game companies optimize for different hardware all the time. Even from one entry in the series to the next. It all depends on what features they want to implement and what's a better fit for the game.

Battlefield was always NVIDIA. Thats why it surprised me.
---
i7-4770k | EVGA GeForce GTX770 2GB | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM
#26Snuckie7Posted 8/3/2013 3:03:06 PM
DerPancake posted...
Battlefield was always NVIDIA.

What difference does that make if AMD's the one paying DICE now?
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#27daemon_danPosted 8/3/2013 3:03:21 PM
DerPancake posted...
daemon_dan posted...
DerPancake posted...
daemon_dan posted...

Battlefield was always NVIDIA.

-face palm- that doesn't matter even a little bit. They don't optimize for one hardware out of loyalty, they do it cause it suits their needs.
---
#28DerPancakePosted 8/3/2013 3:06:42 PM
F that, I ain't going to support some traitors.
---
#29daemon_danPosted 8/3/2013 3:07:26 PM
DerPancake posted...

-blink blink- oh.... kay
---
#30Snuckie7Posted 8/3/2013 3:09:24 PM
DerPancake posted...

I hope you didn't buy Crysis 3, Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, Hitman AB, Far Cry 3 or any other GE title if you despise AMD that much. Sily DerpCake.
---