This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

NVIDIA drivers repeatedly crashing and recovering. GPU dying or bad drivers?

#11ARMEDnPISSED(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2013 3:34:53 PM
Took out the GTX 570, running on integrated graphics and everything is working fine now. Tried reseating it, nothing. I got a blue screen as soon as the Windows login screen came on. Tried system restore as well but it didn't work.

Regarding the temps, I checked them as soon as my drivers crashed. There wasn't any spike in the temperature charts so I'm pretty convinced it's not temperature related.

Seeing as how my PSU is pretty old, I"m considering buying a new one to replace it but at the same time, I'm apprehensive on replacing something that may be working completely fine.
---
I'm a signature virus. Please add me to your signature and help me spread!
#12Killah PriestPosted 8/2/2013 3:37:54 PM
Alright then its not your temps, I just wondered since you mentioned FTL and that game almost killed my GPU when I didn't use framerate limiter.

did you do a whocrashed or similar to see what triggered the blue screen?
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#13ARMEDnPISSED(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2013 3:49:23 PM
I randomly tested FTL because it's less intensive than Max Payne 3 and Civ V, both games which I've tried to play earlier.

Didn't know about whocrashed, ran it and got this.

On Fri 8/2/2013 10:11:24 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\080213-13291-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x13BE30)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA800892A010, 0xFFFFF880049BEE30, 0x0, 0x2)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 320.49
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 320.49
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 320.49 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

Definitely GPU related.
---
#14Killah PriestPosted 8/2/2013 3:54:06 PM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/66813545

we went over the same issue in this topic.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#15ARMEDnPISSED(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2013 4:04:32 PM
Checked nvlddmkm.sys. It matches the installed version 320.49 so I don't think it's that.
---
#16Snagg57Posted 8/2/2013 4:11:02 PM
ARMEDnPISSED posted...
Checked nvlddmkm.sys. It matches the installed version 320.49 so I don't think it's that.

Your card is Dead, i had this problem a week ago, and even if you happen to replace nvlddmkm.sys, eventually the card will start Artifacting.

RIP my GTX 460
#17HaxnStashPosted 8/2/2013 4:22:18 PM(edited)
This is just a long guess but have you checked to see if there's no dust inside your GPU's cooler? My brother's computer started doing the same thing until I checked his GPU and I found quite a lot of dust inside the cooler. I mean the cooler's inside is filled with dust that prevented the GPU from cooling properly. Probably prevented the fan from running properly. After I removed the dust with a q tip, everything is fine now.
#18ARMEDnPISSED(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2013 4:33:16 PM
I cleaned out the GPU like 3 weeks ago after not having done so in 8 months.
---