This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you use Windows Defender or MSE? If so, do you use real-time protection?

#11Fade2black001Posted 8/2/2013 6:35:52 PM
DerPancake posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
Real people of the master race don't use virus software because we do not need it.

What about when you go on the adult websites.

You got to know where to go for that. I got to many sites that don't give viruses or malware.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#12Golden MavenPosted 8/2/2013 6:40:44 PM
Fade2black001 posted...
You got to know where to go for that.

Any pointers?
#13DragnfyrPosted 8/2/2013 6:41:35 PM
Windows Defender on Windows 8 is the same as MSE.
---
MacBook Pro with Retina Display | 15.4" 2880x1800 | Core i7-3615QM @ 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 | 256GB SSD | OSX 10.8.4 | Windows 8 Pro
#14Fade2black001Posted 8/2/2013 7:08:07 PM
Golden Maven posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
You got to know where to go for that.

Any pointers?

I can't tell you that here man.... I will get super duper modded
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#15Doomsday FortePosted 8/2/2013 8:54:35 PM
What's great about MSE is that you can set a limit on how much CPU% it uses...during a scan. Real-time scanning doesn't respect that limit, and there's no way to get it to stop scanning a file other than killing the process. It wouldn't be such a problem if it wasn't on my ancient machine, which means it gets damn near unusable when MSE decides to inspect something big, which it often does to my chagrin.
---
Crimson night & Celsion moon, misfiction, not save the Player is Prayer, yes, Dance Romanesque and unfinished Romancia.
#16xLexLuth0rx(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2013 10:02:32 PM
Doomsday Forte posted...
What's great about MSE is that you can set a limit on how much CPU% it uses...during a scan. Real-time scanning doesn't respect that limit, and there's no way to get it to stop scanning a file other than killing the process. It wouldn't be such a problem if it wasn't on my ancient machine, which means it gets damn near unusable when MSE decides to inspect something big, which it often does to my chagrin.

Yeah, therein lies the problem. I don't know what recently changed but it seems to always be running when I check as I notice my system become a tad less responsive. Seems to never follow any set pattern so it's hit or miss when I'm gaming. I've gone ahead and turned it off and we'll see how it goes. I've loved it for a while now, but it's suddenly becoming worse or I just never noticed it until now...
---
"Trust me Clark, our friendship is gonna be the stuff of legend."
FC: 0860-3416-4781 // Lex in Smallvil // ACNL
#17Doomsday FortePosted 8/3/2013 6:48:20 AM
I guess if anything, set the scheduled check to be more often and manually scan every file you download. Yeah, turning off real-time scanning is generally not a good idea, but when it comes between a fully-secure computer you can't always use when you want and a slightly-less secure computer you can, I'm gonna always go with the latter.
---
Crimson night & Celsion moon, misfiction, not save the Player is Prayer, yes, Dance Romanesque and unfinished Romancia.
#18giglamesh99Posted 8/3/2013 7:18:43 AM
I hate windows defender and mse. Horrible protection... Just because its free doesn't mean it's good. I pay $70 a year for kaspersky and never had any problems in 3 years. It runs super smooth and hardly uses any CPU.

Most of us put a lot of work into our pc and music, pics, games we have on it; so $70 a year to protect that is nothing.
#19DragnfyrPosted 8/3/2013 8:04:36 AM
Music, pictures, and games are easy to backup. If something really screws up then you can just nuke it and start again
---
MacBook Pro with Retina Display | 15.4" 2880x1800 | Core i7-3615QM @ 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 | 256GB SSD | OSX 10.8.4 | Windows 8 Pro
#20LaMichael_JamesPosted 8/4/2013 4:36:18 PM
DerPancake posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
Real people of the master race don't use virus software because we do not need it.

What about when you go on the adult websites.

Noscript will save your ass
---
GOAT