This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How's Call of Cthulhu?

#1nighthawk16Posted 8/2/2013 5:26:15 PM
Looking for a decent survival horror game. Heard some neat things about it, and I'm a fan of Lovecraft, so I'm wondering if it's worth $7.50. Anything like Amnesia?
---
Well if it isn't fat stinking billygoat Billyboy in poison. How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap stinking chip-oil?
#2LOTRsolidsnakePosted 8/2/2013 5:54:34 PM
I've heard great things. Watch some videos to make up your mind. 7.50 is pretty cheap either way.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQS 1.11. Seriously, this is an amazing iPhone app. Get it!
#3akuma634Posted 8/2/2013 6:10:41 PM
I loved it. There are some issues to it but overall it's a great scary game that does horror properly. A big criticism it got in reviews was the stealth system because it's very basic. I hate stealth so I actually enjoyed having a very no frills sneaking system. The game is very true to The Shadows Over Innsmouth story. You go into this weird town full of locals that really despise outsiders and are all really wary of you as you conduct your investigation. There is stuff to explore and plenty ammo and health related objects to collect. You know you're in for something crazy when one of your default medical items is morphine to dull your pain. A big part of the game is trying not to die because you are unarmed and don't have any combat skills. So there is light stealth and exploration. Later on you do get some guns and that's where keeping an eagle eye out for bullets pays off.

I think at the time this was a really under-appreciated game, it was on Xbox and PC so back then survival horror was still a thing so people were easily spoiled. Nowadays if it isn't an indie game like Penumbra, Amnesia, Slender, or Outlast, it's just an action game with too many jump scares. That's what makes it feel a lot more special now.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634
#4Incendia_IntusPosted 8/2/2013 6:11:01 PM
I tried it for like an hour... I didn't like it. I think I'm in the minority though.
---
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz| Phantek PH-TC14PE| EVGA GTX 580 | G.SKILL Sniper 8GB | OCZ Vertex 2 40GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | HAF 912
#5ElDudorinoPosted 8/2/2013 6:22:23 PM
It's an extremely flawed game and very, VERY buggy. You probably won't be able to finish the game without "borrowing" somebody else's save file to bypass at least one area that basically can't be played on newer computers, and you may have to use a cheat program to survive a bug at the end of the game as well. Other than that, you'll have to avoid certain areas which may hang the game, such as a window you look through and then never regain control over your character. Also, there's one area where an invisible wall will prevent you from proceeding until the level's been loaded for like 400 seconds or something wacky like that, so if you die or reload a saved game before that spot you'll have to kill some time before the game works properly.

Other than that, the 'hit detection' for doors is kind of wonky and so your guy will be very likely to open a closed door when you're actually trying to deadbolt it. That will kill you once or twice, almost guaranteed. The main character's voice acting is pretty bad, but also, the game forgets to take into account when you're panicked. So, your character may be freaking out and hoarsely whispering to himself how he's going to die, but at the same moment if you click on an item to inspect it you'll find your character's regular deadpan voice playing over the freaked-out voice. Nice.

Also, the game's "panic" or "stress" mechanic is pretty stupid. It's kinda like the one in Amnesia, making your vision blur when you see scary stuff. Except that after a few hours into the game almost EVERYTHING is scary so your vision blurs all the time, and it blurs to a point where it's hard to see anything and the game is barely playable unless you hide in a corner and stare at a wall for 45 seconds until it clears up. I hated that aspect. Those are 45 minutes I could have spent PLAYING. I think it was handled decently in Amnesia but in DCotE it's terrible.

But at the end of the day, I didn't hate the game. There was actually a lot about it that was really cool. The Lovecraft feel really comes through, and unraveling the mystery of Innsmouth and fighting the corruption of the Old Ones was all pretty badass. It's a game that could have been really great if it wasn't such a mess in so many ways.
#6ZukkusPosted 8/2/2013 6:37:50 PM(edited)
Great, creepy, archaic controls/gameplay systems, and can be a bit fickle to run correctly.

The stress system is hit or miss, but its kind of cool that if you go too crazy and have a gun out you can end up shooting yourself.
---
"I just wasted a bullet. Don't waste your life." -Big Boss
#7SienrurouniPosted 8/2/2013 8:18:27 PM
I loved the first third. It went downhill after you got guns, but I kept playing til I got to the part where I just couldn't proceed due to a glitch. I'd still absolutely recommend it though.
---
"You may not believe this, but I was once a remarkable man,"
-Denny Crane
#8CommunismFTWPosted 8/2/2013 9:14:02 PM
Phenomenal story and atmosphere that's brought down by general bugginess, unfinished ending levels, glitches/crashes/freezes. It's in my top five horror games though; the feeling in Innsmouth is second to none, and I'm a gigantic sucker for Lovecraft anything.
---
There is a glory in humiliation. A throne to be claimed; a crown to wear!
http://i.imgur.com/OhZgm.jpg
#9RhymefestPosted 8/2/2013 10:36:21 PM
i think its fantastic though like others said its got its kinks and is rough around the edges but still a worthwhile experience.. i'd also recommend condemned as well
#10daemon_danPosted 8/2/2013 11:58:46 PM
Anyone know if running it in a virtual machine running XP works any better?
---
"Nowhere is longer safe. The earth MOVES under our feet. The great world tree, Yggdrasil, trembles to it's roots."