This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do the two Metro games have a good story?

#1King_of_GoatsPosted 8/3/2013 3:29:31 AM
The general premise seems to sound pretty awesome.
#2AskeladdPosted 8/3/2013 4:52:23 AM(edited)
I only played the first one (waiting to get the other on sale). The story is sort of like Half-Life 2, in that it is well done for what it is but not a huge focus of the game, and is something to keep you moving along and provide justification for Artyom continually finding himself in terrible situations.

I prefer a more minimal emphasis on story, myself, so that is great as far as I am concerned. They also use narration between chapters instead of cutscenes, which I think is a great tool that is underutilized in games, where often these days big cinematics eat up a whole bunch of the budget for most AAA titles.

The game is really more about setting and atmosphere than story.
---
TWSS hes speken end the wenner es E. There cen enle be ene.
"If it can fit in a Pokeball it can fit in a Gatorade bottle. I'mma catch it." NobleRoar
#3doomviPosted 8/3/2013 5:46:00 AM
If you have played STALKER, then you know the story. For some reason (sic) there was a rush of end of the world science fiction in the USSR (imagine that?) in the 60's and 70's that spawned books that these games are based on.
---
i5-3570k, 128 GB OCZ SSD, 1 TB Seagate HDD & 750 WD Black HDD, EVGA GTX 670, 27" HP2710m @ 1920 x 1080.
#4DiviDudePosted 8/3/2013 7:07:41 AM(edited)
doomvi posted...
If you have played STALKER, then you know the story

What on earth? This is wrong. STALKER and the Metro games are quite different in terms of gameplay, atmosphere, and story. The only real similarity is that they both take place in worn down Eastern European settings, but even those are considerably different from each other. It's a comparison I'm sick of seeing frankly because it's mostly crap.
#5jokujokujokuPosted 8/3/2013 9:52:12 AM
doomvi posted...
If you have played STALKER, then you know the story. For some reason (sic) there was a rush of end of the world science fiction in the USSR (imagine that?) in the 60's and 70's that spawned books that these games are based on.

First, Roadside Picnic (and by extension, STALKER) has nothing to do with the 'end of the world'. And the story is actually quite a bit different from Metro.

Second, Metro 2033 was written in 2005.
#6ZukkusPosted 8/3/2013 10:02:03 AM(edited)
The story in Last Light has a tendency to fall into many cliches. But Metro games are more about the world atmosphere than anything, which is done beautifully.
---
"I just wasted a bullet. Don't waste your life." -Big Boss