This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you still try to go for 100% completion rates?

#1AlexTheNextOnePosted 8/3/2013 3:40:45 AM
I suppose I'm directing this question more towards the older crowd of gamers here, who, as children, tried to truly "complete" the games they owned. I know I was one of them.

I personally can't do it anymore, partly because of time constraints, partly because of trying to work on my backlog, and partly because I actually don't have the desire to do it anymore. Unless I'm going back to an older game I played dozens and dozens of times, and inherently know every secret.
---
Read everything, listen to everybody, believe nothing, until you can prove it through your own research. For that is the true mark of intelligence.
#2SlaynPosted 8/3/2013 3:50:05 AM
I don't have time for that. I used to love to complete games, but now I have too little time and too much of a backlog. It is a waste of time. I also used to like to complete games on the highest difficulty, but now I just want to experience a game and move on with it haha. I had to force myself to finish New Vegas and I probably skipped 75% of the game, I was just bored and didn't want to invest 100+ hours.
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116
#3Golden_GonadsPosted 8/3/2013 4:20:14 AM
I never did. Getting beyond say 90% always seemed more like a chore than a game, so I never bothered trying.
#4doomviPosted 8/3/2013 4:42:18 AM
Yes, I still complete 100% on all eligible games. It bugs me if I see 93%.
---
i5-3570k, 128 GB OCZ SSD, 1 TB Seagate HDD & 750 WD Black HDD, EVGA GTX 670, 27" HP2710m @ 1920 x 1080.
#5NicodimusPosted 8/3/2013 5:25:55 AM
Well, 100% completion and beating the game are not always the same thing.

I do always beat a game so I feel that I get my money's worth. I don't always get 100% completion.
---
My movie and gaming room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
My pets: http://imgur.com/a/P9VGU
#6ThugglesPosted 8/3/2013 5:41:34 AM
There's no point any more. 100% 15 years ago and 100% today are different things entirely.
---
Steam ID: thuggles
#7happyscrub1Posted 8/3/2013 6:11:37 AM
In all fairness.... older games were more about gameplay than story. Getting 100% completion mean more back then.

Now a days, unless "completion" is a big part of the game (like Pokémon to the extreme), there has to be some story element that would compel me to want to do that. Or if I'm just so in love with the game itself

In other news..... explorer/MS word auto spellchecks Pokémon apparently lol
---
http://happyscrub.com/tierlist.jpg
#8DiviDudePosted 8/3/2013 6:15:31 AM
No, going after 100% has always sucked. Finding Gold Skulltulas sucked, finding all of the secrets in DOOM sucked, Final Fantasy X-2 is nothing but a big completion game and is incidentally the worst Final Fantasy game to date... completion sucks.
#9R i c kPosted 8/3/2013 6:30:58 AM
Depends on a number of factors but, yes, I sometimes still do. If I like the game enough that I want an excuse to keep playing or something to do while replaying it and if the extra stuff isn't a total chore to do then I'll 100% it. I may only 99% it if there's one particularly annoying part, though. Also, I never consider achievements as part of the completion rate.

Some recent games I've 100%'d: Alice: Madness Returns, Analogue: A Hate Story, Bastion, Chantelise and Sword Brothers: Sword & Sworcery. I'm also working on 100%'ing Stacking.

I don't know if I'll ever 100% a game with epic amounts of stuff to do like some of the games I've done in the past like GTA 3/VC/SA (so many hidden packages and side missions...), Castlevania: SotN (including messing around with many of the out-of-bounds glitches), Legend of Zelda: Windwaker (that figurine collection and all the hidden chests...), Final Fantasy 8 (well, if you count completely breaking the battle system and souping up your chars it can take a couple hundred hours along with all the sidequests and such), etc.
---
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door. There is a small mailbox here.
>
#10ShubPosted 8/3/2013 7:02:27 AM
In open world games, I often do.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.