This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's wrong with Windows 8?

#21SteamsterPosted 8/3/2013 10:35:56 AM
happyscrub1 posted...
manji posted...

also, it's not good for a business environment, it's not a stable OS. no business will implement windows 8, too much of a risk.

^ This.

The business world should be the last group they should alienate... even more so than gamers.

http://i.imgur.com/ucSJpXj.png
#22kobalobasileusPosted 8/3/2013 10:42:00 AM
There are only a few things wrong with Win8, which is otherwise a great OS:

1. Walled garden app store is the only way to get modern apps onto the system.
2. Live Tiles are great for touch, not great for mouse.
3. Half of the control panels and settings are accessible via Modern UI, the other half are only accessible via traditional Windows Explorer.

Everything else can be fixed or tweaked (sometimes requiring third-party helper software, but Windows users should be used to that after missing basic functionality like DVD burning and decent archive management for decades).
#23The_Mighty_QuinPosted 8/3/2013 11:02:38 AM
Shub posted...
manji posted...
also, it's not good for a business environment, it's not a stable OS.

What a load of bull.

Ever worked in the business environment?

I have, and I can tell you they're not going to go to a couple hundred middle-aged desk workers and tell them to figure their way around a drastically changed menu screen. You can call them "stupid" for not being able to figure it out, but that doesn't change the fact that productivity will go down the tube because people are wrestling with their new computer system. (new OS actually, but from their perspective they might as well have an entirely new machine)
#24Chaos_MissilePosted 8/3/2013 11:17:25 AM
It's a sign of Microsoft's vision: they wanted to cater more to touchscreen users and indirectly save cost.

What happens is that we get an OS that is clearly designed for touchscreen, but expected to work with a mouse. While not impossible, it is not very practical for desktop usage since every thing on 8 seems to be tile-based.

90% of the people in this world who first started using Win 95 could use it within 5 minutes without referring to any manual of some sort.

For Windows 8, it seems to be 50-50, where some complain it's the most intuitive thing ever desigedn by Microsoft, while other said it's not the most user and beginner-friendly OS ever developed by Microsoft.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#25ShubPosted 8/3/2013 11:48:54 AM
The_Mighty_Quin posted...

I have, and I can tell you they're not going to go to a couple hundred middle-aged desk workers and tell them to figure their way around a drastically changed menu screen. You can call them "stupid" for not being able to figure it out, but that doesn't change the fact that productivity will go down the tube because people are wrestling with their new computer system. (new OS actually, but from their perspective they might as well have an entirely new machine)

I'm an IT professional, I know all about that.
The other guy said "Windows 8 is not a stable OS so it's not good for a business environment". That's a load of bull.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#26manjiPosted 8/3/2013 3:53:01 PM
Shub posted...

The other guy said "Windows 8 is not a stable OS so it's not good for a business environment". That's a load of bull.

from what i have heard, using WSUS and deploying to windows 8 clients, there have been complications. so if you're operating from a server environnment, windows 8 is not something that has been completely stabilized, little things come up here and there.
#27hutchboPosted 8/3/2013 7:12:32 PM
It's fine and uses slightly less ram than windows 7. However I don't see the point in adding a touch screen to a desktop or laptop. For work situations you loose productivity when transition from keyboard/mouse to touchscreen and back. Also OCD people will have smudges on their screens (don't judge me.)

For mobile devices (phones/tablets) I think it would work best/well.
---
FX-8350 4.0ghz | 16gb 1600mhz DDR3 Corsair | gtx 560 sli | haf 922 | wd black hdd 500gb
#28SetzeraPosted 8/3/2013 10:18:49 PM
FaceThePain posted...
It runs fine, people just dislike change.

Having recently gotten Windows 8 for one of my machines, this is how I feel.
---
| AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 ghz | MSI 970A-G46 | MSI HD 7870 2GB | 8GB 1600 DDR3 | 650W Ultra PSU | Win7 64bit | 1TB WD Blue | CM 912 HAF |
#29darkstar4221Posted 8/3/2013 10:25:41 PM(edited)
It's a vendor-lock in os (just like previous versions of windows) where you can't do anything with it other then what MS allows. You can't change the UI, it's overpriced, defenders of Win8 will say that it's stable and fast, really? M$ should have had a stable and fast os 10 years ago.
#30darkstar4221Posted 8/3/2013 10:28:23 PM(edited)
Shub posted...

When you are a monopoly, you hardly innovate, it's the that the only positive thing about Windows 8, it's more stable then previous versions of windows?

Windows is NEVER a stable os just because it's highly vulnerable to malware, and it can also cause your computer to malfunction from some bug in the windows os. If your computer breaks you have to pay M$ another license of windows thus more money to M$. There are stories of computers being completely replaced because they were literally destroyed by malware. Would you get that with any other OS like Mac or Linux? No.