This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What were the PC games like back in the 1980s, the 1990s, and the 2000s?

#21Cool_Dude667Posted 8/3/2013 7:50:29 PM
I miss the rivalry between Westwood Studios and Blizzard.

RTS games need to make a comeback.
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#22fallenswordsPosted 8/3/2013 7:52:35 PM
look up daggerfall.

/topic
---
A Mod/Admin replied on 8/28/2011 10:09:48 AM: http://bit.ly/jJ2ZNS
Katawa Shoujo changed my life. http://katawa-shoujo.com/
#23sfcalimariPosted 8/3/2013 8:54:03 PM
http://www.dosgames.cc/screenshotxl/keen4/commander-keen-4-screenshot.png
---
We cannot base our information on something mystical. It is something that has to be proved scientifically, that a human being turned into a goat.
#24dermoratrakenPosted 8/3/2013 8:55:19 PM
I've seen some interesting discussion about the difference in audience. One of the points was that games were more complex and involved (ie. harder), which reflected the difficulty of building and maintaining a gaming pc. Regenerating health and magic compasses wouldn't have been much fun to people who manually adjusted IRQs.
#25DerPancakePosted 8/3/2013 8:58:53 PM
Cool_Dude667 posted...

I though the rivalry was Ensemble Studios vs Blizzard...

I mean Age of Empires is the only RTS series that comes close to Starcraft's sales, and of the new RTS, the only one that comes close to the sales of Starcraft 2 is Age of Empires 3.
---
i7-4770k | EVGA GeForce GTX770 2GB | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM
Samsung 840 120GB SSD | CM Storm Enforcer | Corsair TX 750 Watt
#26Golden MavenPosted 8/3/2013 9:05:03 PM(edited)
In the early 90s, all I remember was cheap platformers, Wolfenstein 3D and Hugo (the text command adventure games). Nintendo consoles (and eastern developers) dominated.

Then you started getting FMV games like X-Files, Sim City, strategy games of all sorts (Sim Tower anyone?), etc. Blade Runner was also pretty impressive, although it was more about presentation than actual gaming. To me, PC gaming really started taking over consoles when Starcraft was released. That was my first online game. Then came the pre-retail Day of Defeat, Counter-Strike, Natural Selection, etc. Today PC gaming just offers more compelling experiences than consoles IMO. For some reason, western developers just started growing like crazy in the mid/late 90s, and today they surpass eastern developers.

I still buy consoles, but honestly I think PC gaming is the highest form of gaming. No offense, but you won't find a whole lot of strategy in console games.
#27kukukupoPosted 8/3/2013 9:04:57 PM
For PC and consoles - the late 80's to mid 90's were the best time. The devs had limited hardware to work with and were able to max what they had. The games were amazing.

After that, hardware became lower cost and coding changed significantly.

Also - manuals were required until about the late 90s. I kind of miss them - I find nothing more annoying that a 1-2 hour tutorial at the beginning of each game. Just let me start playing!
---
FC: 1091-8353-7458
#28SetzeraPosted 8/3/2013 9:48:50 PM
I'd have to say that games of today are probably my favorite. I do miss some older classics, but it's nothing I can't live without. PC wise.
---
| AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 ghz | MSI 970A-G46 | MSI HD 7870 2GB | 8GB 1600 DDR3 | 650W Ultra PSU | Win7 64bit | 1TB WD Blue | CM 912 HAF |
#29Cool_Dude667Posted 8/3/2013 10:57:00 PM
DerPancake posted...
Cool_Dude667 posted...

I though the rivalry was Ensemble Studios vs Blizzard...

I mean Age of Empires is the only RTS series that comes close to Starcraft's sales, and of the new RTS, the only one that comes close to the sales of Starcraft 2 is Age of Empires 3.

They both modernized and popularized the RTS genre in ways unimaginable at the time.

Westwood literally created the archetypical RTS games we see today with Dune 2. Asmuch as I loved age of empires, it wasn't nearly as strategic as Starcraft and the like.

Age of Mythology is one of my all time favorite games though, but it doesn't have the complexity of Command & Conquer series or even Warcraft 3 IMO.
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#30kobalobasileusPosted 8/4/2013 12:10:06 AM
Buggy, clunky, unrealistic system requirements, inaccurate system requirements on the box: In other words, unplayable.

There were a few exceptions, but for the most part, PC gaming in the 80s and 90s was torture. It's a shame that there were a handful of really interesting games (conceptually).