This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What were the PC games like back in the 1980s, the 1990s, and the 2000s?

#31DerPancakePosted 8/4/2013 12:16:56 AM
Cool_Dude667 posted...
DerPancake posted...
Cool_Dude667 posted...
I miss the rivalry between Westwood Studios and Blizzard.

RTS games need to make a comeback.

I though the rivalry was Ensemble Studios vs Blizzard...

I mean Age of Empires is the only RTS series that comes close to Starcraft's sales, and of the new RTS, the only one that comes close to the sales of Starcraft 2 is Age of Empires 3.

They both modernized and popularized the RTS genre in ways unimaginable at the time.

Westwood literally created the archetypical RTS games we see today with Dune 2. Asmuch as I loved age of empires, it wasn't nearly as strategic as Starcraft and the like.

Age of Mythology is one of my all time favorite games though, but it doesn't have the complexity of Command & Conquer series or even Warcraft 3 IMO.

I don't see how Starcraft was more strategic than Age of Empires. I can see that it required more micro, but strategic wise I don't see how it needed more strategy than Age 2.
---
i7-4770k | EVGA GeForce GTX770 2GB | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM
Samsung 840 120GB SSD | CM Storm Enforcer | Corsair TX 750 Watt
#32InterfusorPosted 8/4/2013 3:52:12 AM
I'd like to know how video games were around 1880-1900.
---
I am not economically viable.
#33Born LuckyPosted 8/4/2013 5:24:21 AM
PC games . . . in the 80s?

Who had a PC in 1980?
---
I was talking to the parrot - Poirot
#34maybecallsPosted 8/4/2013 5:31:42 AM
Born Lucky posted...
PC games . . . in the 80s?

Who had a PC in 1980?

I was vaguely aware of their existence, but there was no chance of me buying one..

I owned a couple of 8-bit computers in the '80s (Sinclair Spectrum and Amstrad CPC 464) which both used cassette tapes for storage. Usually took 3 or 4 minutes to load a game into memory. Much better playing them via emulators now.
#35manjiPosted 8/4/2013 6:18:52 AM
it seemed like every game was packaged in an over-sized box, which was awesome. i remember not having a pc at home for games (played on nintendo, sega, sony systems), but whenever i would go to the game store, i would see the PC game section and just loved looking at the games because of the grandiose boxes.