This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thinking of buying Morrowing:GotY. If I do, are the any must have mods?

#11CommonJoePosted 8/3/2013 10:46:16 AM
Get the Morrowind Overhaul and the entirety of Tamriel Rebuilt. They both seamlessly enhance the game.

But I'd just get TR first and then play the game for a bit. Because honestly, for as old as the game is, the vanilla look (outside of animations, which are and always were horrible. Even when the game was brand new) still holds up pretty well.

I'd only get the Overhaul after you've played vanilla for a while. Otherwise you'll miss out on the original charm and atmosphere the game created.
---
Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2. Lets revitalize this game eh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FUge6ghaIo&hd=1
#12DiviDudePosted 8/3/2013 10:49:43 AM
Golden_Gonads posted...
Though Morrowind is the only one of the three semi-modern games in the series where they did the guilds justice. Its not like Skyrim, where you show up, do a couple of quests and suddenly you're in charge. You feel you really are moving up through the ranks.

I don't consider an endless stream of fetch quests to be doing anything justice, frankly. Go buy me this book, go find this magical shirt, go steal this book OK cool now to take this book back to where you stole it, continue ad nauseam. Meh.
#13x_stevey_xPosted 8/3/2013 10:59:22 AM
morrowind is pretty bad. the only interesting thing about it was for its time it was quite fun to try to navigate the huge world with nothing but directions given by npcs. oblivion and skyrim kinda ruined that with their objective markers etc.. but guess what? you can just turn those features off in skyrim and have a far superior game in every other aspect.
#14blade6321Posted 8/3/2013 11:05:32 AM(edited)
x_stevey_x posted...
morrowind is pretty bad. the only interesting thing about it was for its time it was quite fun to try to navigate the huge world with nothing but directions given by npcs. oblivion and skyrim kinda ruined that with their objective markers etc.. but guess what? you can just turn those features off in skyrim and have a far superior game in every other aspect.

People in Skyrim don't give directions though.

At the very beginning one or two do. But then it stops and you have to use quest markers or wander completely blind.

Far less weapon and spell variety.

Terrible guilds

Every quest is killing draugyr pretty much.
---
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198044407572/
-Crabdom Ambassador.
#15That1GuyyPosted 8/3/2013 11:06:47 AM
Morrowind has the best world and quests, but the gameplay is absolutely archaic. The Elder Scrolls has always had shallow gameplay, but Morrowind's is shallow and archaic, while the new ones are just shallow.

x_stevey_x posted...
you can just turn those features off in skyrim and have a far superior game in every other aspect.

You really couldn't, because then you get told to go to places or talk to people that you have no idea where they are or how to get to them. Obviously, you don't need the quest markers in the linear dungeons telling you where to find the boss or the end chest, but "go get my shield back," being the only quest dialogue doesn't help you at all.
---
Perfection. Where everyone fails.
If you expect nothing you can be happy for everything.
#16TheWidowmaker1Posted 8/3/2013 11:07:18 AM
blade6321 posted...

At the very beginning one or two do. But then it stops and you have to use quest markers or wander completely blind.

I can see it being fun having to explore the world on your own, find all these places, then knowing how to get there from experience when you do get quests for them.

Though, lack of directions is a bit disappointing in general.
#17blade6321Posted 8/3/2013 11:10:17 AM
TheWidowmaker1 posted...
blade6321 posted...

I can see it being fun having to explore the world on your own, find all these places, then knowing how to get there from experience when you do get quests for them.

Though, lack of directions is a bit disappointing in general.

The novelty wears off fast. You get told to go to'some dungeon'.

There are literally hundreds of them. It would take you hours just to find one specific one.
---
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198044407572/
-Crabdom Ambassador.
#18OmegaFlare18Posted 8/3/2013 11:11:38 AM
one I like is tireless running

you walk so damn slow in that game and running drains stamina so make-me-faster mod is awesome
---
Steam ID: mystr_E
http://heroesofnewerth.com/ref.php?r=Z11U9T0Q
#19That1GuyyPosted 8/3/2013 11:15:08 AM
The slow movement really added to the world's size. If you get the Boots of Blinding Speed (or abuse alchemy), you can run across the entire continent in like five minutes (or crash your game from moving so fast with alchemy).
---
Perfection. Where everyone fails.
If you expect nothing you can be happy for everything.