This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Nobody actually believes that PC gaming is dying, what they mean is that...

#1BendoHendoPosted 8/3/2013 1:07:45 PM(edited)
the PC gaming that we once knew is dead.

As long as there are computers, there will be computer games. Nobody is disputing that. That's not what people mean when they say PC gaming is dying.

It's just that, we no longer get AAA FPS or RPG exclusives.

Remember back in 2004 when PC gamers got Doom 3, Far Cry, and Half-Life 2, and they were developed for the PC first and foremost and THEN ported to consoles later down the line? These games pushed hardware to the limit.

Now, we barely have to upgrade computers because games are developed on consoles first and then ported to PC's. I can pretty much max any game on my old GTX 570. Back in the day, you had to upgrade every several months to a year to stay on top.

Graphics technology has really stagnated because the engines are built around console limitations. Back in the day, graphics engines were built on the latest PC hardware. Back in the day, the Unreal engine, Cry engine, Source engine, etc. all were made for PC's, and then we worried about what consoles would do later on down the road.

--
#2maybecallsPosted 8/3/2013 1:09:18 PM
M & B Warband is a AAA RPG! As far as I'm concerned it is, anyway.
#3DiviDudePosted 8/3/2013 1:13:08 PM
I don't give a crap about graphics, and therefore I am entirely unconcerned with the graphical limitations imposed by consoles.

There are other limitations that bother me in the console-to-PC porting process - smaller maps (and thus more loading), UI and inventory systems designed for gamepads and a general neglect of the advantages from mouse/kb, and so forth.
#4DV8ingSourcesPosted 8/3/2013 1:15:19 PM
You know what? I don't care. I'm extremely satisfied with console ports. Console games are fun and polished. We will always get our share of pc exclusives. Even multiplats benefit quite often. 64 player BF3 is a world apart from the console version. 2000 man servers for planetside 2. Upcoming Star Citizen is sure to wow.

With the PS4 and Xbox One coming out, pc's are definitely going to be the lead platform. Sure things will be taking consoles into account but who cares? The new consoles have so much ram and plenty of horsepower that its not exactly like the pc's versions are going to suffer drastically. What's the point in complaining about a hobby/pastime that has already grown exponentially to be 100x more complicated than it once was? We still get good games, its just now we have to wade through more mediocrity to find them. If you honestly don't think we are getting any new experiences worth playing, then you should just quit now.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#5Binba442Posted 8/3/2013 1:15:44 PM
BendoHendo posted...
the PC gaming that we once knew is dead.

As long as there are computers, there will be computer games. Nobody is disputing that. That's not what people mean when they say PC gaming is dying.

It's just that, we no longer get AAA FPS or RPG exclusives.

Remember back in 2004 when PC gamers got Doom 3, Far Cry, and Half-Life 2, and they were developed for the PC first and foremost and THEN ported to consoles later down the line? These games pushed hardware to the limit.

Now, we barely have to upgrade computers because games are developed on consoles first and then ported to PC's. I can pretty much max any game on my old GTX 570. Back in the day, you had to upgrade every several months to a year to stay on top.

Graphics technology has really stagnated because the engines are built around console limitations. Back in the day, graphics engines were built on the latest PC hardware. Back in the day, the Unreal engine, Cry engine, Source engine, etc. all were made for PC's, and then we worried about what consoles would do later on down the road.

--

AAAs have moved on, Indie games are better now.
---
Pacman is a deadbeat uncle who embarrasses everyone involved while living off of his one single moment of glory he had back in the 80s -Tirkaro 2013
#6Golden_GonadsPosted 8/3/2013 1:18:49 PM
maybecalls posted...
M & B Warband is a AAA RPG! As far as I'm concerned it is, anyway.

I wouldn't say its AAA or an RPG. I don't know what I'd actually classify it as, but its not exactly an RPG...

As to the topic at hand... I've no problem with consoles getting games, so long as we get a decent UI and controls with ports. And I serious doubt graphics tech would be much (if any) better now without consoles, as we've pretty much hit a bottleneck tech-wise. I actually prefer the stability we have from building on established equipment, as opposed to having some games optimised for one way of doing things, some for something else, and a few more for some obscure way that will end up not taking off.
#7PR_FiascoPosted 8/3/2013 1:19:49 PM
I don't mind much. I'm happy playing the games I've got now. No need for new stuff.
---
TBWNN
i5 3570K @ 3.4Ghz | GTX 670 | 8GB RAM
#8jake-sfPosted 8/3/2013 1:21:42 PM
Some of my favorite games of all time are on SNES, Nintendo 64 and GC, some of them so incredibly limited by their consoles yet see what they came up with. Console or PC aren't separate that much and the "death" of PC says little. Gaming as a whole is what "died".
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/SFJake250?feature=watch
http://sfjake.zxq.net/