This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I have never played an MMO

#1Anticitizen97Posted 8/3/2013 2:47:28 PM
What should one know before attempting to join the MMO scene? I have a few questions as well.

What MMOs are best, and what sets different games apart from each other?

Is character planning absolutely necessary to survive? If so, is learning the best way to plan your character difficult?

I know I had more questions but they are eluding me at the moment, so any additional information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
---
@(*.*)@ I'm on the karma payment plan.
Anticitizen stamps of approval given: 5
#2akuma634Posted 8/3/2013 2:53:23 PM
You probably aren't missing a whole lot. But seriously, I would say the best way to get started would be to try out some of the many free to play MMOs. From what I've read, Star Trek Online gives you the most unrestricted access without charging you for stuff. I'd say too look for something that suits your interests, like if you like Star Wars then TOR is free to play. If you want gritty violent fantasy then Age Of Conan is fun. If you want a more action oriented game then DC Universe Online is fun but if you want superheroes with something more like Marvel Ultimate Alliance then Marvel Heroes is a lot of fun. Those are just a few examples of ton of games.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634
#3Jarred623Posted 8/3/2013 2:54:53 PM
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com/
---
This account has been placed into Purgatory, a timed suspension from posting any further messages on GameFAQs. Twice.
#4Cool_Dude667Posted 8/3/2013 2:55:06 PM
MMORPGs have gotten pretty damn stale over the last 4 years, i'd wait for a new MMO release that might innovate the genre.

Don't get your hopes up though.
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#5daemon_danPosted 8/3/2013 2:55:25 PM
Jarred623 posted...
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com/

I love that game
---
"Nowhere is longer safe. The earth MOVES under our feet. The great world tree, Yggdrasil, trembles to it's roots."
#6Anticitizen97(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 2:56:56 PM
akuma634 posted...
You probably aren't missing a whole lot. But seriously, I would say the best way to get started would be to try out some of the many free to play MMOs. From what I've read, Star Trek Online gives you the most unrestricted access without charging you for stuff. I'd say too look for something that suits your interests, like if you like Star Wars then TOR is free to play. If you want gritty violent fantasy then Age Of Conan is fun. If you want a more action oriented game then DC Universe Online is fun but if you want superheroes with something more like Marvel Ultimate Alliance then Marvel Heroes is a lot of fun. Those are just a few examples of ton of games.

Is TOR anywhere near as good as KOTOR?
---
@(*.*)@ I'm on the karma payment plan.
Anticitizen stamps of approval given: 5
#7CatToyPosted 8/3/2013 2:59:17 PM
Unfortunately with the advent of World of Warcraft and it's massive success, many (most, seriously) MMO's try to emulate the WoW experience and success. There are very few MMO's that stand apart. There are a few outliers, for example Tera and Guild Wars 2 place a lot of emphasis on free form, action based combat as opposed to skill bars and auto attacks that plague WoW clones.

Character planning is rarely necessary as there is almost always a way to respec your character. While you don't need a direction to the end game, you'll likely want to understand how your class plays at end game, and what your expected role will be before you spend too much time on one character. MMO end game is high on group dynamics and comparatively mild on solo play. What worked (or what you enjoyed) while you were leveling and playing alone may very well spell doom for your party in group content.
---
Duba Dubababa Ba Da! Dub?
3DS: 0301 9786 1157
#8Orestes417Posted 8/3/2013 3:16:35 PM
Honestly if you want the WoW experience look at Rift. Basically TBC 2.0 and it has a solid F2P model.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#9TheDrizzuhPosted 8/3/2013 4:18:22 PM
Anticitizen97 posted...
akuma634 posted...

Is TOR anywhere near as good as KOTOR?

The class stories are pretty decent, but I couldn't get past the crap mmo gameplay IMO.
---
"I won! %@#$ you! You are dumb. I have crushed you."
--Wooz
#10uhohjonahPosted 8/3/2013 4:25:08 PM
They aren't exactly the best but the "MMO"s I always enjoyed are Realm of the Mad God and Spiral Knights.
---
Not changing this sig until Monster Hunter 4 comes out in US