This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

1st Try Building a Gaming PC

#11fallenswordsPosted 8/3/2013 8:47:46 PM
New_Pants posted...
You're spending $1k+ on a premium PC...

DO NOT SKIMP ON THE SSD BOOT DRIVE. Please don't listen to those people who say to pass it up. It's only $80 just get it, trust me. It's the best thing ever.

you can add it later...

OP has to cut somewhere and an SSD is something that doesnt have to be installed day one.
---
A Mod/Admin replied on 8/28/2011 10:09:48 AM: http://bit.ly/jJ2ZNS
Katawa Shoujo changed my life. http://katawa-shoujo.com/
#12SuperGamer5Posted 8/3/2013 8:50:07 PM(edited)
Don't listen to the people that say to not get Windows 8. Windows 8 is great. It's basically an upgraded 7. The majority of people I've seen who dislike Windows 8 either have never used it, or are too stubborn to give it some time. While I agree that if one has 7, it's not worth it to pay for 8, if you're building new, definitely get 8.

Source: I've used Windows 8 since launch (even before that, actually. MSDN)
---
No one man should have all that power.
#13Sage Maduin(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 8:57:12 PM
Thanks again for all the continued advice.

2 questions:
Can someone confirm for me that the motherboard will allow SLI if I decide to do that in two years or so?

Can someone confirm for me that the motherboard will allow overclocking?

I know those must be really noob questions, but I don't know how to tell for sure when looking at the specs. I'd hate to misunderstand and regret purchases.

It sounds like I'm on the right track though since in a couple years I can make a marked upgrade to delay my need to buy from scratch again by buying a fan and overclocking, and then buying another graphics card for SLI.
---
,.-o'g ][\/][d'o-.,
"I dreamt I was a moron." -Squall of FFVIII
#14rareware101Posted 8/3/2013 9:03:38 PM(edited)
Never used ProTools but if you're constantly calling up different files as part of it, an SSD would actually benefit you enormously is usability. Not essential still though.

EDIT: Assuming the files you work with will all fit on your SSD after your OS & programmes.

---
The Jeff Minter Llama360 Hardware Achievement - Unlocked after completing the Visualiser
#15ShubPosted 8/3/2013 9:08:21 PM
Sage Maduin posted...
Can someone confirm for me that the motherboard will allow SLI if I decide to do that in two years or so?

Can someone confirm for me that the motherboard will allow overclocking?

Yes and yes.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#16Sage Maduin(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 9:10:45 PM
rareware101 posted...
EDIT: Assuming the files you work with will all fit on your SSD after your OS & programmes.

Yeah that's the catch. I pull lots of files from a 2 TB external hard drive as it is. I would imagine having just ProTools itself on the SSD would help in some ways, though.

Here's another question. Say I installed a game on the SSD. Then later I decide there's a new game I want to try. How hard is it to move the first game to the normal hard drive to make room for the new game? With the first game still functioning, I mean. I know moving files between drives is generally simple, but I was wondering since a game has to extract all its image files into various directories and such if that complicates matters.
---
,.-o'g ][\/][d'o-.,
#17Huey_HueyPosted 8/3/2013 9:16:50 PM
$193 is a bit much on a TN monitor imo. Check out the Asus VS247H-P instead at Amazon. Since your buying your CPU at Microcenter, pick up a UD4H there as well. It's on sale for $115.

Check for availability here: http://www.microcenter.com/product/414773/GA-Z87X-UD4H_Socket_LGA_1150_ATX_Intel_Motherboard#
---
All hail the SpoonyOne!
#18Sage Maduin(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 9:24:35 PM
Huey_Huey posted...
Since your buying your CPU at Microcenter, pick up a UD4H there as well. It's on sale for $115.

No, I'm not. I was mistaken - sorry for the confusion.
---
,.-o'g ][\/][d'o-.,
#19HydroCannabinolPosted 8/4/2013 9:50:29 AM
Sage Maduin posted...
rareware101 posted...

Yeah that's the catch. I pull lots of files from a 2 TB external hard drive as it is. I would imagine having just ProTools itself on the SSD would help in some ways, though.

Here's another question. Say I installed a game on the SSD. Then later I decide there's a new game I want to try. How hard is it to move the first game to the normal hard drive to make room for the new game? With the first game still functioning, I mean. I know moving files between drives is generally simple, but I was wondering since a game has to extract all its image files into various directories and such if that complicates matters.

The only things that benefit from an SSD is the actual data on it...

If protools was installed on it, but not the data you want, then it would almost do nothing. The program itself would boot up a few seconds faster, but once you're in it and loading things it would be just as slow as it ever was.

Also I don't see why people still suggest small SSDs as boot drives anymore. That was 'cool' to do back when 64gig SSDs were like 200 bucks.

All that will do is make it so you can boot to windows 10 seconds faster, but once you're there all your programs and games will function exactly the same. In my opinion if you're gonna get a SSD at least get 256gig or bigger so you can actually put some programs on it that you will use to actually utilize the speed. Even a 128 would be fine if you put the main games you play on it and swap them out etc.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#20Tony_Biggie_PunPosted 8/4/2013 10:02:17 AM
You dont need 16GB of Ram. Drop 8GB and drop the SSD
---
http://i.imgur.com/Z3MIjNj.jpg