This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Rift or Tera? which is the better game?

#1josh_bPosted 8/3/2013 5:36:45 PM
As I have gotten bored with Guild Wars 2 and Neverwinter, I want a new game to play. Considering it will take me at least 3 days to download either game. I was wondering which is better?

I prefer combat similar to Neverwinter and I hear Tera is similar in that aspect but ive also heard many good things about Rift as well.
---
i5 2500k 4.5GHZ OC, 32GB DDR3, Galaxy GTX670 4GB SLI, MSI P67A-GD55 Mobo, 128GB SSD, Barracuda Green 1.5TB HDD
Xbox live: tanis8585
#2GreenMage7Posted 8/3/2013 5:46:53 PM
Tera has better combat and better graphics, and pretty much no other advantage.

Rift is literally better at every aspect of being an mmo.

However, I don't play either anymore, and didn't really play them that much to begin with.
#3jamoke57Posted 8/3/2013 5:47:12 PM
Tera if action combat is your thing, go with rift if you don't mind hotkey based combat like wow. I thought rift was much more fun comparee to tera and it kept my attention longer.
---
Steam ID- jamoke57
#4PhilOnDezPosted 8/3/2013 5:54:16 PM
Tera I was able to play after only 2 gigs of download (maybe sooner, I just didn't try to click play beforehand), just make sure not to opt out of happy cloud, it's the service they use to allow you to 'stream' game installations. You can uninstall it after the download is complete though.

Haven't tried rift, but Tera is pretty fun. From what I understand of rift its main focus is raiding, I haven't figured out what Tera is all about yet but the combat is refreshing after playing wow-clone after wow-clone.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#5rainedownPosted 8/3/2013 6:11:32 PM
If you got bored of guild wars, rift is more of the same really. Only less. Instead of the roaming events, every event is just a rift that opens in the sky.

Tera has great combat, but vanilla wow style quests (Kill Y X's, collect Y X's).
#6MrXGamerPosted 8/3/2013 6:13:09 PM
RIFT is easily the best modern MMO for PvE. It supports both dynamic events similar to GW2 and traditional MMO features like questing, combat, etc. It's especially one of the better modern MMOs for serious raiding and gear progression in endgame. You will be busy for hundreds of hours even after maxing your character.

Tera on the other hand.. ugh.. Terable! Fails to keep attention, bland and boring. Endgame not nearly as good as Rift. It only has those highly detailed, half-naked big boobed females going for it to keep attention from pixel perverts. Rest is just lame.
---
Asus Z77 Sabertooth | i7 3770k | EVGA GTX 680 Classified | Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 1600MHz | Crucial m4 SSD | Blu-ray | Win 7 x64
#7Xantose161Posted 8/3/2013 6:36:00 PM
from my experience rift for pve and tera for pvp.
#8josh_b(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 6:37:22 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. After trying some of the more action oriented mmo's out there. it's hard for me to get into a game unless the combat is more free form and not hot key based. Neverwinter's combat was near perfect to me except the rest of the game was very underwhelming.

I'm downloading Tera now and will probably just go ahead and download Rift next week or so to try it out.

Just trying to find something to pass the time till Everquest Next comes out.
---
i5 2500k 4.5GHZ OC, 32GB DDR3, Galaxy GTX670 4GB SLI, MSI P67A-GD55 Mobo, 128GB SSD, Barracuda Green 1.5TB HDD
#9Ame_no_MurakumoPosted 8/3/2013 6:47:09 PM
josh_b posted...
Thanks for the replies guys. After trying some of the more action oriented mmo's out there. it's hard for me to get into a game unless the combat is more free form and not hot key based. Neverwinter's combat was near perfect to me except the rest of the game was very underwhelming.

I'm downloading Tera now and will probably just go ahead and download Rift next week or so to try it out.

If Sony can live up to their promises, EQ Next will be one of the best gaming experiences ever.
---
Playing: Dishonored and Just Cause 2.
Steam: KnightSaziel | 3DS FC: 5456-0205-3948
#10josh_b(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 6:52:23 PM
Ame_no_Murakumo posted...
josh_b posted...

If Sony can live up to their promises, EQ Next will be one of the best gaming experiences ever.

Well I have high hopes for the game. After spending countless hours playing both EQ and EQ2 and being the main games I played in my younger years I can't wait to see what they do for the new game.between those 2 games and Ultima Online made up the golden age of MMO games for me. I still prefer EQ2 over games like WOW. Guess ill continue to be the odd man out.
---