This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is the Samsung Chromebook worth getting for a student/writer?

#1DoubleJ9Posted 8/3/2013 10:31:00 PM
I have a large 17" laptop that is use to play games, but it's pretty heavy and not something I like carrying around work and school. I'm needing something I can use both in the office and in class to take notes on. I'm also working on writing a book and would like something smaller I can carry around to write on.

That said, I've been looking at the Samsung Chromebook and I like a lot of its features. The online only doesn't really bother me as I'll have Internet connection everywhere I'll be using it. I'm not bothered by not being able to install games and programs as I have a laptop and gaming desktop for that.

So I was hoping to get some opinions on the Chromebook from anyone who has one. Are they worth the money for what it is? Are they good for writing papers on?

On a side note I already have an iPad4, actually what I'm typing on now, I've used it to take notes before but I don't like how hard/fast I have to hit the screen to keep up with some teachers. Also not sure I'll feel comfortable typing a paper on it for long periods of type due to the size of the iPads "keyboard", I've also tried a couple different Bluetooth keyboards and just don't care for any of them.
---
Open eyes are useless if the mind behind them is closed.
3DS FC: 3222-5762-5282
#2Ender_DelphikiPosted 8/3/2013 10:39:00 PM
Are you comfortable with using Google Docs for your writing?

If the answer is yes, then it has my recommendation. I am a writer, a student, and have been using my Samsung Chromebook since Christmas, and enjoy it greatly. The combination of my favorite compact keyboard and a long battery life make it great for long days at school (I was at campus for about 6 hours a day in the winter and never brought my charger).
---
NNID: Syphus, Steam: ender_delphiki
#3SampsonMPosted 8/3/2013 10:40:04 PM
I write for a living.

My Chromebook Pixel is my primary computer. (I also have a beefy desktop for gaming.) Absolutely love it.
---
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby
#4DoubleJ9(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 10:53:51 PM
Ender_Delphiki posted...
Are you comfortable with using Google Docs for your writing?

If the answer is yes, then it has my recommendation. I am a writer, a student, and have been using my Samsung Chromebook since Christmas, and enjoy it greatly. The combination of my favorite compact keyboard and a long battery life make it great for long days at school (I was at campus for about 6 hours a day in the winter and never brought my charger).

Yeah the battery life is one thing that really attracts me too. There will be days where I'll have class in the morning and then straight to the office so I'll need something that I don't need to charge in between.

To be honest I've always used Office, but I'm not opposed to using Google Docs. I've done research on it and it doesn't seem like it'll be a huge difference from what I do with MS Word. And I do like that my work will be saved to the cloud (something I've somewhat done with Skydrive but not a ton).

Thank you both for the recommendations, just wanted to make sure $200 was worth spending on it.
---
Open eyes are useless if the mind behind them is closed.
3DS FC: 3222-5762-5282