This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Avast or MSE, alongside Malwarebytes.

#1Skul_Posted 8/3/2013 11:23:55 PM
Windows 7.

Which one should i use? (Finally getting rid of the horror that is norton)
---
It's not like the buyer just swipes a credit card, puts the employees under their arm, bows, and walks out of Index HQ. - Kromlech06
#2DerPancakePosted 8/3/2013 11:25:50 PM(edited)
Norton is one of the best antivirus. I don't know what you are smoking. Combine Norton with Malwarebytes, and your computer is immune.
---
i7-4770k | EVGA GeForce GTX770 2GB | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM
Samsung 840 120GB SSD | CM Storm Enforcer | Corsair TX 750 Watt
#3Skul_(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 11:25:35 PM
DerPancake posted...
Norton is one of the best antivirus. I don't know what you are smoking.

Its not free, and its also worse than both Avast and MSE.
---
It's not like the buyer just swipes a credit card, puts the employees under their arm, bows, and walks out of Index HQ. - Kromlech06
#4DerPancakePosted 8/3/2013 11:27:40 PM
Skul_ posted...
DerPancake posted...

"There are many other differences between Norton Antivirus and Microsoft Security essentials. But we recommend Norton over MSE because it provides more features and has the ability to protect you from the newest threats. MSE is a relatively new product and many of its features and tools are still not as strong as those found in Norton."
---
i7-4770k | EVGA GeForce GTX770 2GB | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM
#5Skul_(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 11:30:11 PM
DerPancake posted...
Skul_ posted...
DerPancake posted...

"There are many other differences between Norton Antivirus and Microsoft Security essentials. But we recommend Norton over MSE because it provides more features and has the ability to protect you from the newest threats. MSE is a relatively new product and many of its features and tools are still not as strong as those found in Norton."

Norton isnt the worst of the paid antivirus software (lolmcafee), but its intrusive, heavy and constantly gives me false positives. And you know the biggest part? I dont want to pay. Im just going to get a free antivirus, alongside malwarebytes, and i wont get any viruses, because i also run common sense 2013. But for when that fails, is avast or MSE superior?
---
#6DerPancakePosted 8/3/2013 11:31:32 PM
Skul_ posted...
DerPancake posted...
Skul_ posted...
DerPancake posted...

Norton isnt the worst of the paid antivirus software (lolmcafee), but its intrusive, heavy and constantly gives me false positives. And you know the biggest part? I dont want to pay. Im just going to get a free antivirus, alongside malwarebytes, and i wont get any viruses, because i also run common sense 2013. But for when that fails, is avast or MSE superior?

If you go between those. AVAST by far.
---
#7JockoPosted 8/3/2013 11:42:40 PM
MSE because it doesn't nag you. Ever. It shuts the hell up and does it's job.
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
#8JrTapia1991Posted 8/4/2013 1:57:07 AM
Jocko posted...
MSE because it doesn't nag you. Ever. It shuts the hell up and does it's job.

---
"Human history is a litany of blood, shed over ideals of rulership and afterlife."-Legion
#9iscareu13Posted 8/4/2013 6:22:15 AM
MSE has failed me too many times.

A few weeks ago, I didn't feel like dealing with the noscript options to do a quick check of a team's record on ESEA... Checked it on IE thinking I would be fine with the well known site and my MSE... Got a virus that completely crashed my computer and had to reformat.

MSE in the past (back in 2010 - before I was using noscript), it also missed two passive viruses when I was simply browsing the web.

I don't trust MSE at all. I prefer Avira over Avast but either are 10x better than MSE in my book. Whichever you get, stack noscript with it and you should be fine.
#10master ultimaPosted 8/4/2013 7:07:47 AM
I second MSE for being terrible. Last year I was running it while I came across an antivirus killer virus that disabled MSE, Malwarebytes, Ad-Aware as well (I longer use it), and slowed my computer down to a crawl. I had to format everything to get rid of it. From that point forward I told myself never again will I use such an inferior antivirus app. Avast, on the other hand has been good so far. No complaints here.